ID'ing person inside vehicle?

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to obtain pictures/video that is sufficient to ID someone inside their vehicle? Especially at night. I don't have the luxury that red light cameras have of using a flash and I have a much worse viewing angle.

I captured nice video, including the license plate, of someone doing donuts at the intersection next to my house. But the police could not use it because there was no ID of the person driving.

I know this is not exactly LPR, but I figure if anyone has tried to do this they would be in this forum.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to obtain pictures/video that is sufficient to ID someone inside their vehicle? Especially at night. I don't have the luxury that red light cameras have of using a flash and I have a much worse viewing angle.

I captured nice video, including the license plate, of someone doing donuts at the intersection next to my house. But the police could not use it because there was no ID of the person driving.

I know this is not exactly LPR, but I figure if anyone has tried to do this they would be in this forum.
That is a problem. I have found that if the windows are up it is a lot, lot harder to ID people in the car. The lighting has to be just right. Of course the windshield is always up and is the biggest problem. Your post reminded me of this video. It is one I gave the neighbor involved and the daughter knew right away who they all were. With the car interior light on it makes it easy. This camera has since been upgraded to a Dahua 4K PTZ.

Attachments

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
What were they doing and throwing in that clip, rubbish and what was the liquid?
Tortilla's. They made like 4 passes and covered the front yard in them. They knew that I had cameras and they came over for the video. They were going to call the police, but the daughter knew who they were once she saw the video. It was an "initiation" because she was joining the rowing class at the local high school.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Tortilla's. They made like 4 passes and covered the front yard in them. They knew that I had cameras and they came over for the video. They were going to call the police, but the daughter knew who they were once she saw the video. It was an "initiation" because she was joining the rowing class at the local high school.
i thought there will be a drive by shooting in next few seconds ... :lol:

Reaction score
Sounds like the police just do not want to do their job here. If you had a face, they would probably have another excuse.

I was recently approached by our local PD to see if I have any info on one of their cases. I had good caps of the 'deed', great caps of the plates, and great info on the color and make model of car. But no face shots at midnight. They were very happy with what I could give them.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, it is very difficult to get face captures in a car, especially at night. Unless you blind them with light or flash LOL.

Perp's attorney can always claim their client wasn't the driver, but if the police wanted to do anything about it, they would take any available information and do actual detective work. Sounds like a cop out to me...pun intended lol.

I was like this person must live in California lol.

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They can't make an arrest or issue a citation without facial ID. What they may do is be on the lookout for this particular vehicle. In case you want to see the video and LP captures:

Burning Rubber

I didn't think there was an easy answer or even a possible answer, but I was hoping.