I think I just found the dumbest "tech writer" out there - Dave McQuilling

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Due to my interest in cameras, I end up with various articles in my news feed. This one is packed with so many dumb ideas and incorrect facts that I have to share it. This guy has supposedly been writing about tech for over 10 years. He really needs to find a new job.

Please post what you think is the dumbest statement in the article! I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so I'll hold off posting mine for a while.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Due to my interest in cameras, I end up with various articles in my news feed. This one is packed with so many dumb ideas and incorrect facts that I have to share it. This guy has supposedly been writing about tech for over 10 years. He really needs to find a new job.

Please post what you think is the dumbest statement in the article! I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so I'll hold off posting mine for a while.
My comment is not about something in the article but from his bio; it states here "...Dave McQuilling has spent over 10 years writing about almost everything, but technology has always been one of his main interests. He has previously worked for newspapers, magazines, radio stations, websites, and television stations in both the US and Europe."

Great. Another expert whose experience and expertise consists of "I read about it" or "I watched somebody do it"....never actually had his hands on it or got dirty, never tried something and failed, tried again and succeeded, never learned from his experiences and over time acquired a genuine understanding of how it works, how to design it, how to build it, how to implement it and most importantly, IMO......how to fix it. :confused:

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
He’s not wrong about his key take away. 100% security is an illusion, doesn’t matter if it’s a camera, network, structure or a country.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Writers only get paid if they write something. So there's a never ending stream of low-quality articles that serve little purpose other than that and to fill space. Particularly in the case of sector-type publications like this and even more so now with so many outlets.

As far as points in the article go the biggest would be that, other than in a very few exceptional cases, virtually nobody wants to watch your video as so many always jump to. The main concern re security is what can be done with access to cams and other similar devices otherwise. The primary focus on that with little to no mention of security concerns beyond that tells me he doesn't really understand the subject.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Writers only get paid if they write something.
It's like when a company hires an "efficiency expert" to analyze existing staffing, practices in sales, manufacturing, shipping, accounting, etc. When they'e finished and hand in their report of recommendations it most always consists of lay-offs, re-structuring, etc. because they are getting paid a LARGE sum of money to tell you how to fix what is 'wrong" and make your process better, cheaper, quicker, and be more profitable.....you never hear of one coming up with "...well, we find that you're doing very well and we have no suggestions or recommendations...great job you're doing, please don't change a thing." :cool:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
"If I can't scan a QR code and pull up the cam on my phone, it's of no use to me. And if I have to run any wires? Forget it, man." :lmao:
Yes, exactly.

It is funny really. Local systems like DVRs, NVRs, Blue Iris, etc, have been around for decades. Cloud-based wifi devices from Nest, Ring, Arlo, Wyze, etc, are all relatively new, but they are so much more "accessible" to the general public that a lot of people think they are the only option.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Remember, to most people, wired security cameras that work without internet access seem as antiquated as wired telephones and fax machines.
And yet I send faxes everyday for work because they offer a simple and secure method of sending paperwork/information to people/companies. Encrypted email is such a pain in the ass because you never know if the recipient is going to be able to open the email or not.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Cloud-based wifi devices from Nest, Ring, Arlo, Wyze, etc, are all relatively new, but they are so much more "accessible" to the general public that a lot of people think they are the only option.
You're right. I don't even bother to look at any of the "Best Camera Review" type articles. I know Dahua, Hikvision, Axis, etc., won't even be mentioned. On deal sites that I frequent, I rarely even bother to comment on camera threads anymore. Just too wide of a river to try to carry people across. I can feel their eyes glazing over. Once I mention POE, they're gone. lol The ones who need something better will get there.