I have one camera that only works on a 10 Mbps connection, thoughts on why?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have 17 cameras on my network. As the title states, I have one camera that will not connect to the network buy auto-negotiating its speed. It is a Ubiquiti Unifi switch, so I started testing different speed, port settings. I changed the port from auto-negotiate to 100 Mbps, the camera didn't connect. I then changed it to 10 Mbps and it connected. This camera is less than 300' from the switch and I've tried two different cables. I really believe there must be a hardware issue with the camera. Anyone else ever had this happen and have thoughts on what may cause it? Thanks

DG99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try plugging the camera directly in the switch that would rule out any cable length problems, or try a different switch.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Try plugging the camera directly in the switch that would rule out any cable length problems, or try a different switch.
Thanks for the reply @DG99. The two cables I've tried are ~200 ft., same result with two different switches. We had a series of power glitches due to a storm last week which caused the cameras to be turned on/off repeatedly. Maybe it messed something up in this one camera.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
reflash the firmware if possible
I actually tried that and it didn't work. Worst case scenario, it actually started working again with a 100 Mbps connection from my Unifi switch. I say worst case because I have no idea why it started working again.

Reaction score
I'd like to see how it does with a shorter cable... just for diag purposes. Honestly, if firmware failed, you're probably better off replacing it. Your time is worth something after all.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you attach another device to the end of the cable & port to observe its connectivity speed?

Yes, moving the troubled cam to another cable/port that currently runs at 100Mbps is also revealing

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I may dive back into this as time permits… unless of course, if the camera starts acting up again.