I hate to ask, but....

Reaction score
i hate starting another "which one should i buy?" thread, but even though i'm a newb i've been learning a lot and i think i have it narrowed down.

my current NVR is cheap generic junk. you get what you pay for of course, i'm ready to buy up. But there are NVR's ranging from $50 to $2000, what ballpark do i need for this:

1) NVR to support 4 channels
2) do NOT need POE or mulitple RJ45 jacks, all cameras connect through a router
<and the biggie>
3) using a web browser interface (on the same LAN as the NVR) need to be able to pause, rewind and watch the recorded video with relatively smooth quality, while still recording.

should i be expecting to $200? $1000? $2000+?

Thanks for the suggestions!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Consider a pc based NVR...blue iris (60) or milestone essentials is free for 8 cameras...add a 200-300 dollar i5 haswell/skylake and you are done.

Reaction score
so for instance, amazon has the HIKVISION DS-7604NI for $160. the specs say "Synchronous Playback: 4-ch".

does that just mean it shows you the 4 video streams "live" as they are being recorded? or can you actually playback already recorded events?

Thanks a bunch!

logbuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
<and the biggie>
3) using a web browser interface (on the same LAN as the NVR) need to be able to pause, rewind and watch the recorded video with relatively smooth quality, while still recording.
Can you explain your strict need for a web browser interface? What is your use case? Right now I am sitting at my laptop and can log in to my security system with remote desktop. Same LAN. Super responsive even while having 4 camera windows open with full video. I'm having trouble understanding why you would require a browser interface.

ETA: I use Blue Iris

Reaction score
ah, i didnt think of using remote desktop, thats a good idea.

I will have the NVR in the basement, and want to be able to review video from my laptop upstairs. So remote desktop will be just as good as a web browser (and won't require any hokey ActiveX crud)

the Milestone software sounds like a good idea. it would mean one more PC running 24/7, but whats a few more watts...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ah, i didnt think of using remote desktop, thats a good idea.

I will have the NVR in the basement, and want to be able to review video from my laptop upstairs. So remote desktop will be just as good as a web browser (and won't require any hokey ActiveX crud)

the Milestone software sounds like a good idea. it would mean one more PC running 24/7, but whats a few more watts...
buy haswell/skylake with onboard intel hd, they are very efficient.. with milestone you wont need remote desktop, there is a full windows client...even with blue iris you can review video using the webserver...