I finally caught a killer with my LPR, sorta.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have cameras setup in a rough area of town (have posted videos in the past of car bombs, beatings, police crashing cars etc.).

In 2018 there was a drive by shooting up the street. I started playing with LPR at that time with my existing cameras. It was so fun, I added two cameras just for capturing plates. I thought by 2019 my cameras and LPR setup would have helped the police catch a killer.

I was wrong, off by a couple years.

The other night at 2am, working on the computer and I catch a flash out of the corner of my eye (I have 12 cameras live on tablets all the time). Was that a gunshot? I have no audio, but I see a car race out of the parking lot across the street (the troublesome building with all the drugs). Should I call the cops and tell them I think I saw a gunshot?

No, I don't think I should call them. Maybe it was just a guy taking a photo and I saw the flash on his camera?

I rewind.... play back.

Holly shit! A vehicle drives into the parking lot, turns around & stops. Passenger door opens, guy steps out. Lifts a shotgun/rifle type gun and starts shooting. Entire thing lasts 4 seconds, he gets back into the vehicle and drives away.

Time to call the cops.

I ask if they have had any reports of gunshots in town (small town). They said yes, near the convenience store but none of the callers saw anything - just reporting they hear shots.

I was able to tell them the address, what apartment they were shooting at, what the vehicle was and of course THE LICENSE PLATE!

Within 10 minutes I had them images of the vehicle emails to the frontline officers who crawling all over the place.

They shot one apartment up, no one inside was hit.

I am not going to release any video that I captured yet, since I'm sure this will be going to court. I will however, share the news report below.

I think this is a major win for my LPR system. While it took longer than I thought to capture something like this, I do feel gratified in spending the time to develop the LPR system.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have cameras setup in a rough area of town (have posted videos in the past of car bombs, beatings, police crashing cars etc.).

In 2018 there was a drive by shooting up the street. I started playing with LPR at that time with my existing cameras. It was so fun, I added two cameras just for capturing plates. I thought by 2019 my cameras and LPR setup would have helped the police catch a killer.

I was wrong, off by a couple years.

The other night at 2am, working on the computer and I catch a flash out of the corner of my eye (I have 12 cameras live on tablets all the time). Was that a gunshot? I have no audio, but I see a car race out of the parking lot across the street (the troublesome building with all the drugs). Should I call the cops and tell them I think I saw a gunshot?

No, I don't think I should call them. Maybe it was just a guy taking a photo and I saw the flash on his camera?

I rewind.... play back.

Holly shit! A vehicle drives into the parking lot, turns around & stops. Passenger door opens, guy steps out. Lifts a shotgun/rifle type gun and starts shooting. Entire thing lasts 4 seconds, he gets back into the vehicle and drives away.

Time to call the cops.

I ask if they have had any reports of gunshots in town (small town). They said yes, near the convenience store but none of the callers saw anything - just reporting they hear shots.

I was able to tell them the address, what apartment they were shooting at, what the vehicle was and of course THE LICENSE PLATE!

Within 10 minutes I had them images of the vehicle emails to the frontline officers who crawling all over the place.

They shot one apartment up, no one inside was hit.

I am not going to release any video that I captured yet, since I'm sure this will be going to court. I will however, share the news report below.

I think this is a major win for my LPR system. While it took longer than I thought to capture something like this, I do feel gratified in spending the time to develop the LPR system.

Excellent job @Robert G.

Do keep us informed about how this turns out.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Was that you in the interview?
Nope, that certainly was not me in the Interview. I have no idea who that is. He does say they checked the video, which is interesting as I did not know they had cameras. They certainly do not have IR lights as I would be able to see those from my cameras. They are much closer to the action than my cameras so maybe they did record it - which is great, multiple angles would be much better in court.

I believe the police have already arrested the guy. They made a press release that they did a search warrant on a house 1 block over and found guns, lots of ammunition and several silencers. They only stated the warrant and arrest they made was related to an ongoing investigation but did not state which case it was in relation to.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Great work. I am starting to like having audio outside. It adds another element of our senses to detecting things when we may not be looking.
My Amcrest Doorbell, has audio, ( it's saving grace) it doesn't get much action hasn't been that useful,,,until I ported it to Blue iris, and every so often I will hear a loud vehicle or a door slam, or Police Siren from the Main road. (1.5 blocks away). It's enough to make me bring up the Console and see WTF is going out there. ( usually nothing - so far).
Audio at the Condo BI system is great. Somebody backed into another residents parked car and you could really hear the "bang".
Also I can hear when UPS or FED EX roll in.