I am almost there

Reaction score
Hello. My name is Michael. I recently purchased a high quality PTZ dome camera with 20x zoom to monitor the area outside my rural home. Camera is mounted, cables are connected to power source and wireless router, 140 LED IR illuminator mounted, and the latest Blue Iris is running it all. I have a Windows 7 laptop acting exclusively as monitor/dvr. Fantastic that it all works together and gives me everything (almost) I wanted. Now I have one more question.

In a scenario where (if or when) my home gets broken into, it's highly likely my expensive computers will be one of the first thing thieves would take. This negates the advantage of recording to the laptop. I'm real new to this kind of networking. I know what I want to do, but is cloud storage the solution?

I have never had a cloud account. Can I use cloud storage like an external hard drive, adjust settings so my recorded video files will go automatically to my cloud account as they are recorded instead of to a folder on my local hard drive? Ideally, should my monitoring laptop be stolen, a recording of the theft would be stored online. I won't need a large amount of storage, as the camera is motion activated, starts recording at motion, then stops recording five minutes after the motion has stopped, then saves the file to a folder on my laptop's C: drive. I would imagine no more than 5GB would ever be used. I would review and delete at least weekly Is cloud storage the solution?

Thank you for your time. It's nice knowing there are support people out there to inform us woefully ignorant.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Welcome. Why not put a dedicated NVR in the loft? For what you want one of the mini NVRs will be fine.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@cando.couldbe Welcome to the forum! You can use blue iris to record to a remote network drive while also recording locally..you do this by cloning the cameras in blue iris and hide the second set so you dont see double on the screen.
You can also do what del boy suggests and just hide a cheap nvr set to record 24/7 somewhere in your house...