How to upgrade my DS-2CD2132F-IS cameras?

rdeckard

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello and happy new year!

In 2015, I purchased 5 Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IS cameras from a US Amazon dealer (New York location). (I live in Europe)
4 of the cameras have 3.6mm lens and one 2.8mm.
According to the dealer description, these were "US models". But since there were many problems with bricked Hikvision cameras at that time, I never did a firmware update.
All 5 cameras work fine. 4 have been mounted under the roof since purchase and thus have been in operation for 8 years. The 5th camera (2.8 mm) I have never installed and serves as a reserve / test device.

Even if the cameras work (in IR mode, unfortunately, hardly anything can be seen, but that's another problem), I would still like to perform a firmware update. (I'll probably replace the cameras with a newer model in the next few years, though, because the night mode has gotten so bad).

According to the article description, these should be US models, so a firmware update would actually be easy to do over the network. Unfortunately, I do not trust this information and I suspect that these are gray imported models.

Unfortunately, I have a big problem: The cameras are mounted between 7m (23 feet) and 10m (33 feet) high, which is too high even for a ladder (for me). I would have to organize a scaffold or a crane, which is not cheap. (I am saving this for the later replacement of the cameras).
This means that I can only update the cameras via the existing PoE network. A reset on the device or additional power supply is not possible.

Of course I already read the mega thread "R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced" and with that it should apparently work. The big question is only, is it necessary in my case? How can you tell 100% if it is a US model or a Chinese model?

Here is the information I have:
Model: DS-2CD2132F-IS (4x 3.6mm, 1x 2.8mm)
Serial no.: DS-2CD2132F-IS20150526CCWR511344[...] (3.6mm) or DS-2CD2132F-IS20150429CCWR475131[...] (2.8mm)
Firmware Version: V5.2.5 build 141201
DevType: 38932 (3.6mm) respectively 38920 (2.8mm)

Here is an extract from prtHardInfo (looks almost the same on all devices):
Code:
BusyBox v1.19.3 (2014-07-11 11:25:54 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# prtHardInfo
Start at 2022-09-13 19:58:18
Serial NO :DS-2CD2132F-IS20150526CCWR511344378
V5.2.5 build 141201
hardwareVersion = 0x0
hardWareExtVersion      = 0x0
encodeChans             = 1
decodeChans             = 1
alarmInNums             = 1
alarmOutNums            = 1
ataCtrlNums             = 0
flashChipNums           = 0
ramSize                 = 0x4000000
networksNums            = 1
language                        = 1
devType                 = 38932
net reboot count        = 0
SD status                       = 0 (1:noraml;0:none)
Path: .
Working Copy Root Path: /data1/data_liwenwei/work/frontend_software_platform_5.2.7_R0
URL: https://192.0.0.140/Camera/Platform/Branches/branches_frontend_software_platform/frontend_software_platform_5.2.7_R0
Repository Root: https://192.0.0.140/Camera
Repository UUID: df2d70c3-7593-7941-af1e-571b313c0946
Revision: 103727
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: liwenwei
Last Changed Rev: 103727
Last Changed Date: 2014-12-01 20:51:32 +0800 (Mon, 01 Dec 2014)

Does anyone have a tip for me if I can go the difficult or easy firmware update route here? Or should I spend the money for new models and skip this firmware update?

Fortunately, I can test everything with the reserve model (2.8mm) first, since a) I don't have this in use and b) it's on my desk. Still, of course I want to avoid any risk of "bricking" my cameras under the roof.

I am grateful for any advice!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You really need to be asking yourself why are you updating? If it is just for grins and giggles or OCD behavior to be running the latest firmware, think twice.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need or bricks the camera. In most instances, updates are simply security vulnerability patches (usually years after the breach was found), but since we do not give our cameras internet access, the update is useless to us.

Unless the release notes specifically mention it fixing a problem you are experiencing, more than likely it won't fix an issue and may make the camera worse by removing functionality.

Here are issues I have seen people report here where they were upgrading just for the sake of upgrading:
  • Dahua 5241E-Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots.
  • Dahua 49225 and 49425 PTZ that Dahua intentionally removed autotracking with an update to force people to buy the more expensive PTZ.
  • Hikvision DS-2DEA425IW-DW PTZ that Hikvision intentionally removed autotracking with an update to force people to buy the more expensive PTZ.
  • Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and loses the ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen, especially if you live in the USA.
  • Hikvision ANPR DS-2CD4A26FWD camera that lost all ability to read plates - kinda makes a plate reader camera useless.
  • Hikvision camera that the user lost ability to control the LED light function at night.
  • Hikvision DS-7616NI-Q2 NVR that has the APIs changed. This is a big deal if you run automation.
  • Hikvision wifi camera that loses the ability to use wifi after a firmware update and was intentionally removed due to too many complaints that the camera was dropping signal.
  • DH-DB61 Doorbell that loses API functionality. A big deal for someone with automation.
  • Hikvision iVM4200 v3.8 - loses the free ability to use the computer as storage and now need to subscribe.
  • Dahua IPC-HFW1320S that started phoning home using 60MB/hr and costing someone thousands of dollars in data overages when he got his next mobile bill.
  • Dahua 5442 that will not allow playback of the SD card.
  • Dahua NVR58XX-4KS2 that had custom protocol (ability to add a camera via RTSP) removed possibly to force people to purchase same brand cameras.
  • Countless other instances where the camera or NVR simply bricked and became useless.
  • Countless examples where the camera or NVR went into Chinese.
  • Manufacturers are now preventing their equipment to be updated with an older working firmware after it was updated to a more recent firmware.
Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Another thing to consider is that the same model could have different firmware for different chipsets used during the life of that model. So you run the risk of bricking if you do not know what chipset you have.

Here is an example - the HFW3549T1-AS-PV is available in 2 versions of firmware across 3 different chipsets for the same model camera:
  • HFW3549T1-AS-PV-S4 uses the HX3XXX-Taurus firmware.
  • HFW3549T1-AS-PV and IPC-HFW3549T1-AS-PV-S3 use the HX5XXX-Volt firmware
In this instance, Dahua added an S# designation after the model number (while Hikvision adds a C), but many do not and then you try to update with a firmware not compatible with your chipset and potentially brick it.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units into English that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1666892544039.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A couple of points.
Sounds like you currently have Dome cameras, and that is why you are having night problems due to degrading of the domes over time. Avoid using domes outdoors. Use Turrets or Bullet cams.
You have them mounted way too high, if you want any chance of ever getting a face id from a cam, it should not be mounted any higher than 7-8ft.
The point of a surveillance system is to determine who did it, not just what happened.
Todays cam models will outperform those 8yr old cams by a very big margin.
Study this: Cliff Notes

rdeckard

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for your tips!

@wittaj
Yes, the "don't fix what ain't broke" is of course true. I'm not missing any new features now, but security updates and possibly better browser compatibility on an almost 8 year old IP camera is certainly not a bad thing. (But since I don't use the cameras on the internet anyway and rarely access them directly via browser, it's probably not that important).
I would have been interested to know if my cameras are really US models or not. But anyway, I have now decided not to update the cameras until their replacement.

@looney2ns
I have read a lot about newer IP cameras (especially Dahua) in the last weeks and unfortunately I know the (unsolvable?) dillema between dome cameras and turret cameras. Dome cameras have the big advantage that they are "discreet" and rather vandal-proof (which is irrelevant at my height).
Since my front yard is not very large, I can monitor everything with a wide angle. And since the lens doesn't move, no one knows if they are still in the field of view or not (they don't know the wide-angle factor).
Of course the height is not optimal, but only this way the camera is somewhat protected from the weather. I am also more interested in monitoring what is happening on my property than in facial recognition. (In addition, there is a door camera and in the future in the carport another camera).
Whether it will be an IR camera (Turret!) or a Color4K camera (without IR) in the future, I do not know yet. It depends on how bright my ambient light (without camera light) is. I think, for this I must probably buy a test camera, so that I can test it onsite on all 4 house sides.
But I think I will be positively surprised.
Optionally, a mini PTZ camera would be interesting (but much more expensive), since I could then also later adjust the viewing angle and zoom factor. Here, however, the camera would then move visibly, which is less discreet, but possibly more deterring. (as long as the motion detection really works 100%, otherwise the intruder can try to trick the camera).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The browser issue is usually more tied to the chipset and you won't see a firmware update for browser compatibility on an 8 year old camera or probably even a 1 year old camera...

Dahua recently came out with a 4K camera on the 1/1.2" sensor. The bullet version came out first about a year ago or so and uses the web GUI we are all familiar with.

The turret version came out in the last 3 months or so and uses a completely different web GUi format that is not supposed to be browser dependent.

They have said due to chipset the bullet will not get the new web GUi.

Further even though the new web GUi is supposed to be compatible with other browsers, real world experience is showing that isn't the case and that Internet Explorer should be used for the brand new camera as well.

It is rare to see a firmware update make that big of a swing. Usually it is an attempt to fix a bug someone has experienced or to patch a security issue, not provide better functionality or features. Wishful thinking though lol.

rdeckard

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, have read the browser issues with the new web GUI as well. I don't understand why manufacturers of IP cams don't manage to solve these browser problems. At least not with NEW devices.
Browsers are considered security critical in these days and therefore should always be kept up to date. EVERY manufacturer should know and respect that.

Internet Explorer is dead and has always been a bad browser. It is also not cross-platform compatible.
Unless Dahua (or any other manufacturer) fixes this, I will not buy such cameras. It's just not future-proof and thus unsustainable. (And no, I certainly won't install IE in a VM just so I can configure an IP cam correctly).
But yes, that's another story, unfortunately....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will get no argument from many here that using the older browsers are unfortunate. Every brand but the cloud based Ring type stuff still have cameras or processes that are browser dependent. But the cloud based solutions bring their own host of vulnerability issues that is much worse than this browser issue.

Even high-end, 6 times more expensive Axis still requires IE for many functions. Maybe you find a camera that works on a newer browser consistently, but the manufacturers seem to have no incentive to make that move.

So we decide to figure out how to use the superior equipment with the outdated browser requirement or go without. I simply have an old laptop that doesn't even have wifi built-in and is not connected to the internet and I use that to set up the camera or make adjustments. The only time that computer is on and connected to a camera (my system is dual NIC so not on my LAN) is when I am making a change. Some have found the Pale Moon browser to work (except for the autotracking cameras).

For example almost every Dahua camera can work with other browsers, but not the PTZ. For whatever reason the track time defaults to 15 seconds for any browser but Internet Explorer. So you set that in IE and then use a different browser for anything else.

Plus it isn't like we are in them every single day, so get the configuration done and move on. Like I said, I have an old laptop that doesn't even have wifi capabilities (old windows 7) with IE on it and I hook my camera directly to it if I need to make any changes. That is all that computer is used for.