How to temporarily mount cameras for testing

kdsteele

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two turret style cameras arriving this week from LTS, a 2.8mm and 4mm model. My plan is to use these two models to determine the best locations to mount several cameras around the outside of my home to provide 100% coverage. To this end, I plan to try many different mounting locations to determine how to best cover the areas. What methods would work well to temporarily mount a camera under eaves, etc without drilling holes? I've thought about mounting the camera to a piece of wood and attaching the wood to a 18' adjustable-height painters pole. This would allow me to easily raise the camera up to the eave and move it around. I could tie the painters pole to a step ladder for stability. Any other thoughts or ideas?

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thats probably your best option. Or you can ask a friend to hold it on a ladder and you use mobile app to view the output

schundg

n3wb
Reaction score
I attached my camera to a 8' 1x3 and then clamped the wood to a 6' step ladder. I was able to move the ladder and also to raise/lower the wood using clamps in order to test different FOVs. This also helped with night vision to determine IR reflections and clear views/shadows, IR distance, etc.

kdsteele

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I ended up attaching three right angle brackets to a piece of 1/4" plywood and using a clamp to hold the plywood to an adjustable height painters pole. It worked well, but in hindsight, since I was comparing two cameras, I should have cut the plywood large enough to mount both cameras at the same time.

IMG_20160130_123436.jpgIMG_20160130_123328.jpgIMG_20160130_123348.jpg