How To Stop A Robbery

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Too bad most newer fuel dispensers around here in bigger, "progressive" cities have some sort of vapor recovery system in place and they'll shut off when pulled out of the car's gas tank neck (I think due to inability to apply a vacuum...early ones actually pulled gasoline LIQUID OUT of tanks!)

When first introduced in to CA (in the 80's maybe?) they wouldn't work 1/2 the time and you'd turn it upside down and monkey with it to get a cupful at a time....took 10 mins to fill up! :mad:

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The ones here have a spring loaded seal that won't dispense unless it's pushed tightly into the filler. I regularly fill my own gas cans, 5 gallon cans, by holding that release back so I can see how full the can is. Takes two hands, but works every time.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The ones here have a spring loaded seal that won't dispense unless it's pushed tightly into the filler. I regularly fill my own gas cans, 5 gallon cans, by holding that release back so I can see how full the can is. Takes two hands, but works every time.
That's how the ones work here in AL that I've found...not bad at all, thank goodness.

Spent 29 years in N. CA where emissions are tight so that's where they were such a PITA...even the gas cans had devices to close them off to prevent vapor escaping and that doubled the cost.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
That's how the ones work here in AL that I've found...not bad at all, thank goodness.

Spent 29 years in N. CA where emissions are tight so that's where they were such a PITA...even the gas cans had devices to close them off to prevent vapor escaping and that doubled the cost.
The problem with these gas cans, they are sealed up enough that they expand until the seam starts splitting and the gas spews out.
I have had 2 of them that split down at the bottom and lost all of the gas. Third one that split on the top, so I found the split sooner.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess that sealed system sure does prevent fumes from escaping the can....until it fails and adds all the fumes from all the gas evaporating as well. Another well thought out plan by either bureaucrats, idiotic elected officials or a combination of both. On top of it all, you're out the cost of the can and the gas!

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I guess that sealed system sure does prevent fumes from escaping the can....until it fails and adds all the fumes from all the gas evaporating as well. Another well thought out plan by either bureaucrats, idiotic elected officials or a combination of both. On top of it all, you're out the cost of the can and the gas!
I have a couple of those *^$&^ things. I wind up spilling more gas than the small amount of fumes that would have escaped. Not to mention that to open it so you can pour the gas you get gas all over your hands.

Podagrower

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The problem with these gas cans, they are sealed up enough that they expand until the seam starts splitting and the gas spews out. I have had 2 of them that split down at the bottom and lost all of the gas. Third one that split on the top, so I found the split sooner.
I've only had one split, but imagine the pressure required to split that seal. Imagine the force those fumes escape with. Inside a shed or garage with battery chargers, light fixtures, and other assorted sources of ignition. You can absolutely bet that whatever asshat passed these pieces of shit into legislation has never had to use one. Fixing them prior to use by replacing the nozzle and adding a vent cap is an absolute must.