how to get a camera to work without internet?

tung256

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have this 2K floodlight camera. image quality is great, AI for human is perfect, LED brightness is crazy bright.
with the recent debacle with Eufy secretly sending data back to some cloud, i decided to block all of my cameras from the internet. the NVR is still working fine and able to record the other cameras via ONVIF and RTSP. strangely, only the floodlight's RTSP stops working. it was working fine via RTSP with my NVR, Frigate, and even VLC on win10.

this is how i stop it from getting online in the PFSense router. the alias Eufy_cams include a bunch of cams from various companies, not just eufy....
1670360739377.png

any idea why the floodlight's rtsp would stop working when internet is cut? i tried VLC too but it did not work as well. Frigate received this error: Connection to tcp:/192.168.1.113:8554?timeout=5000000 failed: Connection refused.
OR how to fool it to think internet is available?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
any idea why the floodlight's rtsp would stop working when internet is cut? i tried VLC too but it did not work as well. Frigate received this error: Connection to tcp:/192.168.1.113:8554?timeout=5000000 failed: Connection refused.
OR how to fool it to think internet is available?
Did you scan a QR code with your smartphone and/or use the CloudEdge app?
If so, you're using P2P which hits their cloud via the Internet. If you cut or lose the Internet, you lose the cloud and your feed from the cam.

tung256

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you scan a QR code with your smartphone and/or use the CloudEdge app?
If so, you're using P2P which hits their cloud via the Internet. If you cut or lose the Internet, you lose the cloud and your feed from the cam.
during installation, it requires the CloudEdge app to get started. no other option. once the camera is set with my network's wifi, it gave me an RTSP link that i used to record locally to my NVR as seen here. sadly onvif and rtsp stops working instantly once i set my router to stop the camera from getting online.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many of the no-name or consumer based cams require that internet connection. Consider yourself lucky your other ones are working without it!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
during installation, it requires the CloudEdge app to get started. no other option. once the camera is set with my network's wifi, it gave me an RTSP link that i used to record locally to my NVR as seen here. sadly onvif and rtsp stops working instantly once i set my router to stop the camera from getting online.
Yep, that's P2P. :confused:

From your YT video:

eufy-QR.jpg