How important is AI?

Elgato54

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How important is AI in a camera? Do you find it to be worth the additional cost?
Thanks

Elgato54

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have an Amcrest camera with AI and it gets false alerts all the time. I probably need to play with the configuration. They sell the exact same camera without AI for about $30 less.
I am leaning towards a 5442 for my next camera. Do they have internal AI?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes the 5442 has internal AI and it rocks.

You have something set up wrong with Amcrest and/or trying to do too much with the field of view.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How important is AI in a camera? Do you find it to be worth the additional cost?
Thanks
I have pretty much all AI cameras and I only use BI for alerts/triggers. I never use the cameras triggers. For my use though I don't have allot of foot or vehicle traffic. It could be I'm underutilizing the cameras but it works for me. So in answer to your question, I'd say it has zero value to me right now.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Typical "New Age w/ a Masters" tech-support e-mail reply to the above... :smash:

"We are sorry to heer(sic) one is have problems with our cameras and it's AI.
Yoi musta hava eat som peenut butter and jelly sanwich and left crums and gooy on camers.!!
WSo now you got ants and insects thatare urs problem..

And anyway we didnt charge for them AIs any way.

Thank You from Tech support

Having late night fun....
This better than 80 meters but, no snoring with legal limit (1500 Watts) and the Vox is on!

Elgato54

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Its a front door camera that covers the porch and driveway. Every bug that flies in front of it, and there can be a lot at night around the porch light, sets it off. If the wind blows the movement of the trees or bushes alerts.
Maybe a lizard on the wall.
I did not know you could use BI for the AI instead of the camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its a front door camera that covers the porch and driveway. Every bug that flies in front of it, and there can be a lot at night around the porch light, sets it off. If the wind blows the movement of the trees or bushes alerts.
Maybe a lizard on the wall.
I did not know you could use BI for the AI instead of the camera.
You likely don't have it setup properly

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
AI is the real deal - whether it's embedded in the camera or you use an external service like DeepStack.

Prior to AI, every bug, leaf, stream of light, wind gust, etc would cause the cameras to trigger. Now with AI, I have probably reject 99% of those "false triggers." I'll still get the occasional bug or something even with AI, but it's once or twice a week instead of once or twice a minute. I'm using AI built into my cameras (primarily Dahua).