How’s the trial version lately?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Need a little help —

I’ve read that storage direct to HDD was not possible in older versions of BI demo version. Is this still true?
This was never true.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve been on the storage tab, won’t let me drag the “new folder“ to dedicated storage drive from drive C.

Do I delete or trash “new” folder in C drive and create a another “new” folder on the dedicated hard drive? Haven’t tried it, didn’t want to get stuck in front of computer all day. Just in case it’s not obvious I am not a computer guy.

I also can’t figure out how to get my camera into night mode but I haven’t searched that yet.

dahua 180 cam is what I have up on my test rig.
Simply create NEW on the dedicated HDD and point BI to it. If you then want to delete the NEW on the C drive you can.

What do you mean by night mode? The 180 is a full color camera and does not go into infrared/B/W.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
You will be shocked how easy it is to set up motion detection in BI. The default motion detection is a good start.
My concern isn't setting up BI, it's getting it running with CPAI. I've been reading too many posts from experienced CPAI users running into obstacles. That said, thanks for the setup advice to help me get jump started. My NVR isn't a POE version, so I expect its existence to be a 100% non-issue.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My concern isn't setting up BI, it's getting it running with CPAI. I've been reading too many posts from experienced CPAI users running into obstacles. That said, thanks for the setup advice to help me get jump started. My NVR isn't a POE version, so I expect its existence to be a 100% non-issue.
I mean if your cams are on the same subnet as the computer you will be using, then yeah you can bring them in that way.

But you should be able to bring them in from the NVR if you wanted to as well.

Since your BI will be a new build, it will go a lot smoother with CPAI. Especially if you don't mess around with a GPU or Coral - that seems to be where most of the issues come from. The CPU version seems to be a lot more stable. I am in the process of setting up a test rig that I can keep on the latest version for testing before updating my main system and it was very smooth.

Download CPAI first. Install it and get the modules started.

Then download BI.

Ignore that this is for a Wyze camera LOL and simply skip that part and just add your camera, but follow these steps and you will have CodeProject and BI running in no time.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You must understand that those users are playing with cutting edge releases, lpr and various video cards. I have a bunch of systems on 2.0.8 and 2.4.5 running super smooth...also understand that for every 10 people posting issues there could be 100 or 1000 who dont have them...a support forum can be misleading like that.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Simply create NEW on the dedicated HDD and point BI to it. If you then want to delete the NEW on the C drive you can.

What do you mean by night mode? The 180 is a full color camera and does not go into infrared/B/W.
Wasn’t sure if I could delete the drive c folder, I certainly will.

As for night mode, on the camera setup we have settings for day and night - exposure, gain, shutter speed, info you gave me in another thread.

How do I get the camera to switch between settings automatically?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wasn’t sure if I could delete the drive c folder, I certainly will.

As for night mode, on the camera setup we have settings for day and night - exposure, gain, shutter speed, info you gave me in another thread.

How do I get the camera to switch between settings automatically?
That is done in the camera GUI - after you have set up the day and night profile - above that in the GUI change it from customized scene to day/night OR you can click on the + sign below the profiles and open up a schedule and put in a schedule for each profile for each month.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is done in the camera GUI - after you have set up the day and night profile - above that in the GUI change it from customized scene to day/night OR you can click on the + sign below the profiles and open up a schedule and put in a schedule for each profile for each month.
Thank you!

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I only have self adaptive or customized scene as options...

When I go to live view it automatically goes to day setting with a mostly black image.

7BD6AA8F-34DD-4BFB-B36C-2C3765EBE4A4.jpeg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just pulled mine up and forgot this one doesn't have that feature (I guess because it doesn't have infrared).

So you can find the API in another thread to add to BI or select the Time Plan Settings (the v over to the right) and then fill in the schedule by month.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sounds like I’ll look for the time plan thing - right now it’s temporarily running in auto

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a bunch of systems on 2.0.8 and 2.4.5 running super smooth
I'm looking for this sort of info. I'd like to begin with a least risk version. Is there somewhere to download specific versions? I can find only 2.5.1 on the CPAI site.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking for this sort of info. I'd like to begin with a least risk version. Is there somewhere to download specific versions? I can find only 2.5.1 on the CPAI site.
If i was downloading today I would go with the latest 2.5.1 and then work backwards if you have an issue. I think there are links in the old 2.0 thread to prior versions.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Like I mentioned, if you are starting new, which you are, the latest version of everything will work.

The issue is every update can introduce an ill effect to an existing system. Someone jumping 20 updates at once could end up introducing an unknown error. One of the reasons why Hikvision recommends and may not even allow too large of a jump in updating versions.

But you are starting fresh and don't try using coral or GPU and just use the CPAI CPU version, and you will be fine.

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Hope I don't offend anybody by ranting. I had forgotten why I hate Win 10. First step of setting up a BI machine is a clean Win install, so I made a plan:
1. Install Win 10 image from the media creation tool.
2. Disable updates.
3. Enable IE.
4. Delete all of the crap apps I don't want or need.
5. Create a disk image for if/when I have to start over.

Before I got to step 5, all of the crap I deleted in step 4 came back! Had to figure out how to shut that off.
Before I got to step 5 again, local weather info popped up on the taskbar. Had to figure out how to shut that plus news feed off.

Finally did step 5. Don't know if there will be more surprises, but next is to install CPAI and BI.
(Another surprise, the start menu tiles are now populated with junk like spotify, linkedin, etc. More work to do.)