Hikvision withstands bear mauling...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You'd think I smeared peanut butter or honey on the camera, but it's completely bait-free. The camera is on a 6"x6" wooden post, about 3' off the ground. I use it to capture video of approaching/departing vehicles at the end of my 400' driveway in TN. It was installed over a year ago, and remained untouched since then. It's a 3MP turret - the original kind with the metal housing. I'm sure if it had been the newer 4MP with the plastic housing, it would have ended differently.

I won't be back up there until end of July to see what damage (if any) there is to the camera.

I've updated the video to include the additional angles - though none are as impressive as the mauling.

Last edited:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I don't know anything about bears. I don't know if the hibernate in TN... but if they do, and he just woke up, he must have eaten REALLY good before going down for his long nap. That guy looked stout. The images of him going under the porch deck help scale him properly. At the point where he walked underneath, the bottom of the porch is about 5' off of the ground. I'd say he was at least 3' tall from ground to shoulder.

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice capture and that is certainly a nice healthy looking bear. Looks like you have a great view from your cabin, wouldn't mind seeing a daylight shot of that!

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Nice capture and that is certainly a nice healthy looking bear. Looks like you have a great view from your cabin, wouldn't mind seeing a daylight shot of that!
It's a million dollar view, that's for sure. The house sits about 20' from the edge of a cliff that overlooks a 1000' drop to the river below.

Here's a view taken on my last trip in Feb. Was controlling the drone from over 2 miles away, so it gets a little squirrely at the end.

Here's a view from the bedroom window:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Whatcha got for a drone? Litchi with waypoints works great for long range missions with my DJI Mavic. It'll do 2 miles no troubles controlling live from the controller with good LOS.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Mavic as well. Running the latest firmware (.600) - which doesn't play so well with Litchi at the moment. Love me my Mavic, though!

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
IIRC I'm on .500. Haven't flown in maybe two weeks so firmware isn't the latest. Litchi (and just about all non-DJI software) had issues with some modes on recent firmware but waypoint mode was working fine for me 10-14 days ago or whenever it was I flew last. Did a 5 mile test run with 30% battery left for extra flying at the end.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm just not bold enough to fly long missions like that over thousands of acres of woods on steep hills and cliffs. I suppose the risk of injuring someone is nil compared to doing it where I live now - but at least here I'd have landmarks and accessibility to the crash/landing site.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got lots of open land to test fly over. This was a test to see if I could send it the distance I wanted over the sea. Run out of battery returning to home over water and you've got a big problem.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Is there internet out there ?
If that's what you want to call $80/mo for 4mbps down, 1mbps up DSL. Believe it or not, they're talking about using some of the "shovel-ready jobs" funding from the financial crisis in 2009 to rebuild the data infrastructure out there. A town that is less than 10 miles away is currently having FIBER installed - and it may well reach into our town (with only 143 people) - due to it being an 'underserved' area. Go figure.

The DSL service is the fastest I can get given my distance to the closest central office. It burns me up to know I'm paying $60/mo here in FL and am getting 100/100. Surprisingly, 1mbps IS fast enough to support a reasonably descent live stream using Blue Iris. I'm using about half of the upload stream to push out a 'all camera' indexed view to my FL server. The clarity isn't enough to identify people, but when there is a tripped IR beam (like the bear crossing the driveway) or PIR trigger, the remaining bandwidth is used to email me a higher quality set of stills. Plus, I am recording at max resolution locally which can be exported if needed.

It's not ideal, but it is living within the technical limitations that exist. Cost of paradise, I guess..

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You'd think I smeared peanut butter or honey on the camera, but it's completely bait-free. The camera is on a 6"x6" wooden post, about 3' off the ground. I use it to capture video of approaching/departing vehicles at the end of my 400' driveway in TN. It was installed over a year ago, and remained untouched since then. It's a 3MP turret - the original kind with the metal housing. I'm sure if it had been the newer 4MP with the plastic housing, it would have ended differently.

I won't be back up there until end of July to see what damage (if any) there is to the camera.

I've updated the video to include the additional angles - though none are as impressive as the mauling.

What part of TN. I just put up cameras at my dads property near hill ham TN for him just this month and he still isn't happy he can't see every dang inch of the property. I was like well when you own 25 acres of land surrounded by woods don't expect miracles LOL.

I got my million dollar view all nested up near mineral bluff GA North of it> depending on which side of the property I walk along and down I'm about 10 ft from TN. boarder and 20ft from NC makes for fun times

Attachments

Last edited:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Looks beautiful. The house is just south of Jamestown. It's about half way between Nashville and Knoxville, and 45 min south of the TN/KY border.

Last edited: