Hikvision iVMS-4500 over OpenVPN

cam_geek

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so forgive me if I've got something wrong or haven't provided everything required.

I have a HikVision NVR with 6 HikVision cameras connected to the NVR via POE. I have a Linksys WRT1900ACS router running an OpenVPN Server to enable remote connection to my home network.

The VPN connection works perfectly - I'm able to access all manner of devices on my local network via the vpn when away from home.

I can even navigate to the web management portal of my HikVision NVR via VPN (by entering the local IP address of the NVR into my browser).

My iVMS-4500 app works flawlessly when connected to my local Wifi. However, what I can't seem to get working, despite hours of troubleshooting, is for iVMS-4500 to successfully connect over the VPN.

This used to work for me some time back, but stopped working (despite nothing changing) and it seems to me that a possibility could be that HikVision are preventing this kind of connection to drive people to use their Hik-Connect service (which I would like to avoid)? However this doesn't really seem likely since surely the app and/or device wouldn't know that the connection is a VPN?

I'm running the latest firmware versions on the NVR and Cameras and the most up to date iVMS-4500 app.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and whether they have been successful in resolving.

To pre-empt any discussion about port-forwarding:
  • I have a DDNS service setup
  • I have tried setting up port forwarding with iVMS-4500
  • This does work, however I do not want to port forward on my router
  • Considering I need to, and can, access multiple devices on my LAN remotely (apart from just the NVR via iVMS-4500) , this isn't an ideal solution for me

Thanks in advance - I look forward to your thoughts/replies.

cam_geek

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just following this up... If anybody has encountered similar issues your feedback would be greatly appreciated. If you require any further information to assist, please just let me know and I will provide it.

Many thanks in advance

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I went online to see how to setup IVMS-4500. I just followed the instructions. I am using it to check on my 4 Hikvision NVR's. I do not recall using port forwarding.

cam_geek

n3wb
Reaction score
I went online to see how to setup IVMS-4500. I just followed the instructions. I am using it to check on my 4 Hikvision NVR's. I do not recall using port forwarding.
Thanks Parley, appreciate you taking the time to respond. However iVMS-4500 is working no problem on my LAN - all instructions that I've come across online for remote access to iVMS-4500 require either port forwarding through the NATed router or remote connection via VPN.

Ubadoob

n3wb
Reaction score
Going to rehash an old topic here. I’ve just encountered the same issue. I found this happens if the vpn is configured for home network only. If you configure vpn as home network + internet IVMS-4500 connects. I don’t understand why this is the case though?