Hikvision external PIR alarm senstivity

vellingapa

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time watcher, but never posted. Having troubles with a newer Hikvision and thought I'd ask.

I'm not sure how many folks here use external PIRs but....

I have had Hikvision's monitoring my driveway for years. I installed an external PIR years ago and found I have a game trail with lots of traffic. Prior to installing the external PIR I never knew the game trail existed. I don't use motion as it causes too many false alarms

I recently upgraded to a newer better camera, and I find the new camera is much less sensitive to triggers from the external PIR

My old camera, a Hikvision DS-2CD2632F-IS never misses a beat and catches cars coming and going at all rates of speed along with smaller animals such as a bobcat - all trigged by the external PIR connected to the Alarm input.

My new camera, a Hikvision DS-2CD3686G2T-IZS often misses cars leaving and just now didn't alarm when a coyote danced in front of the PIR. The old camera would have never missed anything like that.

How do I know for sure. I was missing the animals for a while thinking there was less activity lately. I was also a tad frustrated the new camera wasn't catching all the cars.

I had to swap out the new camera with the old one for a bit and viola I all of received a lot more alarms for animals. Two nights in a row a bob cat trigged the camera. I never missed a car for the week I had the camera swapped out. etc. In short, in the weeks time, I had the camera swapped out the driveway and game trail came alive. That isn't to say the new camera isn't trigged by the PIR just it seems to miss a good number of the triggers - less sensitive to the alarm inputs.

I don't see anything in the camera interface to adjust the alarm input sensitivity. It sure seems like Hikvision has made the new camera less sensitive to the external alarm input.

Thoughts?

vellingapa

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time watcher, but never posted. Having troubles with a newer Hikvision and thought I'd ask.

I'm not sure how many folks here use external PIRs but....

I have had Hikvision's monitoring my driveway for years. I installed an external PIR years ago and found I have a game trail with lots of traffic. Prior to installing the external PIR I never knew the game trail existed. I don't use motion as it causes too many false alarms

I recently upgraded to a newer better camera, and I find the new camera is much less sensitive to triggers from the external PIR

My old camera, a Hikvision DS-2CD2632F-IS never misses a beat and catches cars coming and going at all rates of speed along with smaller animals such as a bobcat - all trigged by the external PIR connected to the Alarm input.

My new camera, a Hikvision DS-2CD3686G2T-IZS often misses cars leaving and just now didn't alarm when a coyote danced in front of the PIR. The old camera would have never missed anything like that.

How do I know for sure. I was missing the animals for a while thinking there was less activity lately. I was also a tad frustrated the new camera wasn't catching all the cars.

I had to swap out the new camera with the old one for a bit and viola I all of received a lot more alarms for animals. Two nights in a row a bob cat trigged the camera. I never missed a car for the week I had the camera swapped out. etc. In short, in the weeks time, I had the camera swapped out the driveway and game trail came alive. That isn't to say the new camera isn't trigged by the PIR just it seems to miss a good number of the triggers - less sensitive to the alarm inputs.

I don't see anything in the camera interface to adjust the alarm input sensitivity. It sure seems like Hikvision has made the new camera less sensitive to the external alarm input.

Thoughts?

vellingapa

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe I may have figured this out. Previously my cameras were powered with an AC adapter at the cameras location as I have power there. With the new camera, I switched over to PoE so I could provide UPS power and continue to record video regardless of current power situation. Well, when I reconnect, the new camera using the AC adapter its sensitivity to external alarm events from the PIR seems to be more sensitive. Not 100% conclusive, but that's what I think I'm seeing. It's a bit hard to tell as the camera when on PoE was missing ~20% of alarm events and correctly responding to ~80%. I have plenty of PoE power available as the camera is connected to a bit larger adapter then required but the cable distances are at the limits of the specifications so it could be the camera isn't receiving quite as much power might otherwise.

With that a totally different question.

Setting up Smart Events in conjunction with the Alarm events. For my alarm events I usually notify use the notify surveillance station plus record to local SD storage onboard the camera. For local storage, there are options for Continuous, Motion, Alarm, Alarm/Motion, Motion & Alarm and Event. Does anyone know if there is a manner available to configure for Alarm and Events to trigger video to be stored on the local SD storage vs. having to choose?