Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW questions

doogs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I am contemplating my first ip cam and thinking of getting the Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW (its a cube camera for indoors with wifi).

The situation is this:
- The wife wants to be able to see our cat when we are on holiday (the cat pretty much spends a lot of time in one room of the house). So I would need to be able to see video or stills on a mobile phone.
- I have no cameras at the moment. I do not have an NVR either.
- The router (fibre broadband) is not near the room in question. I may be able to run an ethernet cable to the router but this will be a lot of hassle in the short term. The router has no POE capabilities.

The questions:
1) Would this camera be suitable for my purposes?
2) How can I power it?
3) What else will I need?
4) I am aware of everyone saying not to use wifi. I acknowledge this and would ideally use ethernet but in the first instance would like to use wifi for this experiment. Will this work?
5) Any other advice for this particular situation?

In time, I will most likely get an NVR and install further external cameras and go down the poe route. However, at the moment I would like to try and demonstrate to my better half a good working solution for this particular issue.

Any help, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Is there an idiots guide to setting up ip cams as well?

Thanks,
Doogs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@doogs The 2432 will suit your needs...you need a 12v 1a power supply or a poe injector/switch to power it...you can use wifi and still power the camera with a poe injector or switch...generally these cameras are sold without the power supply...
Here is a deal on two laview cameras that are made by hikvision and have the same features of the 2432 except that they are 2mp...the also have the 2.8mm lens..
They are 170 for TWO at newegg..they come with a power supply
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/3445-Good-deal-on-Cube-cameras?highlight=2432

Last edited by a moderator:

doogs

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm in the UK so don't know about delivery from the US. Don't need two at the moment -this is more of an experiment than a permanent thing.
In terms of a single 2432 unit, is there a specific power supply to get or can it be generic?
What about setup? I've searched about for a beginners guide to no avail.

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm in the UK so don't know about delivery from the US. Don't need two at the moment -this is more of an experiment than a permanent thing.
In terms of a single 2432 unit, is there a specific power supply to get or can it be generic?
What about setup? I've searched about for a beginners guide to no avail.

Thanks.
You can use a generic supply...or even better use a poe injector or switch so you can use it later as well if you decide to run ethernet.
There is no guide...there are lots of threads about setting up the camera..this camera is no different than any other hikvision..

doogs

n3wb
Reaction score
You can use a generic supply...or even better use a poe injector or switch so you can use it later as well if you decide to run ethernet.
There is no guide...there are lots of threads about setting up the camera..this camera is no different than any other hikvision..
Ok cheers. Can you recommend a poe injector to use with this cam by any chance?

Reaction score
I have a DS-2CD2432F-IW that works great as far as video is concerned. The audio however is of such low volume
that when listening with a web browser I can barely make out spoken words. This is with the audio settings on the camera
and the computer at maximum. Could there be something wrong with the camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a DS-2CD2432F-IW that works great as far as video is concerned. The audio however is of such low volume
that when listening with a web browser I can barely make out spoken words. This is with the audio settings on the camera
and the computer at maximum. Could there be something wrong with the camera?
try changing the audio codecs and see if that helps...the audio on the cameras i have seen is very loud..

Reaction score
re: Fenderman

Good suggestion. Works fine on another computer on my LAN. I haven't tried it over the internet yet. As far as mobile apps, I have no audio at all using
LiveCams Pro and IVMS-4500 on an iPhone 6. Any suggestion there?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
re: Fenderman

Good suggestion. Works fine on another computer on my LAN. I haven't tried it over the internet yet. As far as mobile apps, I have no audio at all using
LiveCams Pro and IVMS-4500 on an iPhone 6. Any suggestion there?
If it works on another pc its most likely a sound setting on the problem pc...
It should work fine in ivms4500 (not sure if livecams supports audio for this camera)...make sure you enable sound by clicking on the little speaker so there is no "X" over it...

Celius

n3wb
Reaction score
I agree, do away with wifi if you want a solid reliable connection. Instead use 2 homeplugs to transmit the signal over your existing mains electrical circuit. Plug one into a mains socket near the router and plug in an Ethernet cable from your router into it then do the exact same thing at the other end near your camera. Saves a lot of messing around with cable runs a retains a solid wired connection. You can then use a 12v 1amp DC power adaptor to power the camera without POE. One word of advice, if you intend to view your cameras primarily with your phone then always go for a 1.3 megapixel over a 3 megapixel, you will get far better image quality at a higher smoother frame rate. 3mp is way too much for phones and you will have to lower the resolution, image quality and frame rate right down just to get an reasonably acceptable stream. We get this question all the time about our video demos compared to what they're getting on their own phone and it's simply down to that alone.
Here in the UK 1.3mp HikVision's seem to be more accessible than in the US so maybe the majority are not aware of the comparison.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Celius Keep in mind the you can record at 3mp and stream a sub stream to your phone and get the best of both worlds...

Sent via Taptalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Celius

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman. Yes I'm fully aware of thie 2 streams. 3mp are great for high detail static recordings to an NVR viewed from a local network pc but we set these up for customers all the time primarily for mobile viewing. It's unsurprising to us how many rarely use hardware other than their phones once we have set them up correctly. It just becomes the primary go to device so we make sure the best possible image quality is available to it at a clear and smooth frame rate. Unfortunately 3mp using the main stream is a no no and the sub stream is a big compromise to what a 1.3mp can provide on main or sub stream. To get the 16:9 aspect ratio to view all and still maintain clear and smooth frame rate we then recommend and go up to 2mp with satisfactory results but disappointment always follows the 3mp cameras when they're insist on.
The other thing to mention is recording space. Recording the main stream with a 3mp camera eats up disc space especially when recording to an on-board card. If the camera is set up correctly you can get weeks of high quality footage onto a low volume sd card.
Hope this information helps

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman. Yes I'm fully aware of thie 2 streams. 3mp are great for high detail static recordings to an NVR viewed from a local network pc but we set these up for customers all the time primarily for mobile viewing. It's unsurprising to us how many rarely use hardware other than their phones once we have set them up correctly. It just becomes the primary go to device so we make sure the best possible image quality is available to it at a clear and smooth frame rate. Unfortunately 3mp using the main stream is a no no and the sub stream is a big compromise to what a 1.3mp can provide on main or sub stream. To get the 16:9 aspect ratio to view all and still maintain clear and smooth frame rate we then recommend and go up to 2mp with satisfactory results but disappointment always follows the 3mp cameras when they're insist on.
The other thing to mention is recording space. Recording the main stream with a 3mp camera eats up disc space especially when recording to an on-board card. If the camera is set up correctly you can get weeks of high quality footage onto a low volume sd card.
Hope this information helps
Another benefit of the 3mp is a slightly wider viewing angle..the 3mp also allows going to a wide 2.8mm lens if the situation warrants without loosing too much detail ....I use the substream for remote viewing and it looks great..Its unfortunate that you have to deal with customers that are complaining that they are not utilizing the full 3mp...note that there is a 2mp version of the camera...
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/3459-Hikvision-DS-2CD2420F-IW-2MP-Indoor-IR-Wifi-Cube-Camera-4mm?p=29389#post29389
Storage space is dependent on the bitrate, nothing else..so if you are not also lowering the bitrate then lower resolution will not affect the storage capacity...
There is one advantage to a lower res camera and that is low light and night vision, it will be better on the 1.3 vs the 3mp...the 1080p is a nice compromise...

Celius

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes sorry about not mentioning the bitrate and yes you've hit the spot, I agree with you on the aspect ratio that's why I mentioned the 2mp camera above for that very reason. As you will know if using IVMS-4500 it will default to the sub stream to take advantage of the lower settings configured but even after adjusting the settings on a 3mp to improve the image, it still provides a noticeable drop in quality if you compare it to a 1.3mp. We have all variants setup so we can compare results directly and with the 2mp we can get away with streaming the main stream at 720p which gives that wide aspect ratio as well as high quality and smooth frame rate but each phone is different.
The problem for the customer is that they see bogus advertising stating 3mp HD viewing on their smartphone only to discover that those settings have to be compromised to be viewed on a phone so from our point offering a clearer smoother image from a 1.3 or 2mb at a higher image quality is always advised.