Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I Timing Snapshot suddendly stops

hikcam16

n3wb
Reaction score
Good morning,

I've purchased this cam to capture picture every 20 min for some month to monitoring my building construction and create a time laps video at the end, tried both ftp and smb/cifs (dedicated 16Gb hard drive) on linux and windows server, different server app, but the camera suddendly stops recording (It's strange but usually in the morning) and suddendly restart after 6-7-10-11 hours.
If rebooted the camera automatically take only one capture and then nothing for hours...
The "Capture Schedule" form setting is 7/7/24, timing snapshot enabled.
During this "dark period" the camera is perfectly reachable, live playback is ok, manual ftp and Smb/cifs test are ok so it is not a server response problem.

The log only says:
313 2016-10-31 07:43:24 Alarm Stop Motion Detection 1 local No message on my server...

How can I resolve the problem? The camera hardware is ok, beautiful images but unfortunately not usable...

Any firmware upgrade? Or downgrade? Any advice?

Thank you very much
Model: DS-2CD2042WD-I
Serial: DS-2CD2042WD-IxxxxxxxxxxWRxxxxxxxxx
Firmware: V5.4.1 build 160525

hikcam16

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

no one with the same problem? I've also tried default setting restore, tried different time slot to cover all day but nothing, same behaviour, it stops always in the morning (7.40 - 8 am).
I've written to Hikvision Europe support, they only asked serial number and firmware version, no more answer...

Any other ideas?
Thank you

k_r_z

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

no one with the same problem? I've also tried default setting restore, tried different time slot to cover all day but nothing, same behaviour, it stops always in the morning (7.40 - 8 am).
I've written to Hikvision Europe support, they only asked serial number and firmware version, no more answer...

Any other ideas?
Thank you
I have the same problem on the same camera with the same firmware. FTP only works during the night. You can switch manually in the Image -> Day/Night Switch to night and you will be getting pictures during the day, but in black and white.

Whom did you email? If you let me know, I will email them as well.

k_r_z

n3wb
Reaction score
I found the problem/solution. One needs to limit the image quality to medium or low in the Storage -> Capture -> Capture parameters . It seems that if the JPG is <1MB it goes through, but not if >1MB. The night JPGs are <1MB and go through even in high quality.

Debussy

n3wb
Reaction score
sorry to revive a really old thread , but how did you managed to figure this out ? that the image size was the issue ?
thank you
I found the problem/solution. One needs to limit the image quality to medium or low in the Storage -> Capture -> Capture parameters . It seems that if the JPG is <1MB it goes through, but not if >1MB. The night JPGs are <1MB and go through even in high quality.