Hikvision cub alternative

KhMeRA

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Could some one recommend me a good wide angle and low light outdoor camera? I am currently using Laview Panda, similar to hikvision cub. The image quality is good but I would like to have a weatherproof outdoor camera and I don't like cheap plastic feeling of this camera. I would like something similar to Hikvision Bullet 2CD2042 but they don't make 2.8mm or smaller cameras.

Note: I cannot use dome camera since no room to mount dome, unless there is a special adapter, and 2 way audio is a plus.. but optional.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could some one recommend me a good wide angle and low light outdoor camera? I am currently using Laview Panda, similar to hikvision cub. The image quality is good but I would like to have a weatherproof outdoor camera and I don't like cheap plastic feeling of this camera. I would like something similar to Hikvision Bullet 2CD2042 but they don't make 2.8mm or smaller cameras.

Note: I cannot use dome camera since no room to mount dome, unless there is a special adapter, and 2 way audio is a plus.. but optional.
Your post makes no sense. There's no "cub" camera. There are "cube" cameras. Hikvision makes plenty of 2.8mm outdoor cameras.

The cube style of camera really isn't well suited for outdoor use.
There are many types of outdoor cameras:
-Bullet
-Turret
-Dome
-Mini Dome
-Box w/ enclosure
-ptz

The main feature the cube cameras have that the others lack is a built in speaker.

Regarding lens size / field of view you can go wider with a fish eye but they usually aren't rated for outdoor use either.
2.8 is about as wide as you want to go, it's actually wide enough to cause some distortion. Generally cameras that have bigger lenses or are positioned to get clearly identifiable face shots are more useful.

Hikvision & Dahua are the two brands recommended most here.

For general outdoor use the turret style of camera is often the best performer with better ir, less reflection, and fewer issues with spiders.
like this: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Dahua-4MP-Camera-Mic-built-in-IPC-HDW4421C-A-IR-Full-HD-IP-POE-Dome/32625578527.html