Hikvision analog camera signal issues.

Reaction score
I have an analog camera connected via ethernet cable using something like this.

A few weeks ago i bumped the cable slightly and it started having issues. I made sure everything is connected properly but there are still issues. What confuses me the most is the fact that 50% of the time it works perfectly, 25% it has some flickering in the video feed and the other 25% it's complete video loss. Surely if the connections were an issue, it would have the same issue all the time, not like that, right? Plus if you disconnect the camera and plug it in again, it works just fine. I am honestly clueless and I hope someone can help me. Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those are called "baluns", plural of an acronym that stands for "balanced-unbalanced", referring to the interfacing of two lines of different impedance & properties, such as CAT-5 (balanced) to coax (unbalanced).

I have used some here and there over the years and they are known for mechanical intermittence due to cable flexing, thermal changes and exposure to humidity that causes oxidation or corrosion, even if not directly exposed to the weather. The circular clamp when the BNC rotates is especially weak.

If no dust, corrosion or loose screws found I'd first replace with new, one at a time, to locate the intermittent one. The problem can be in the BNC collar, the pin inside the BNC, the female part that mates with the male pin, in the short cable from the transformer inside the balun to the BNC or elsewhere.

It's the nature of the beast. One can't expect much from such a cheap device; if you can find one that is better made than the Chinese -built ones that flood the market, you'd likely have better results.

You might have better luck if you can find something like this that has no short cable and uses a crimped-on RJ-45 connector on your Ethernet cable:
CCTV BALUN BNC MALE TO RJ45 FEMALE - PAIR - (BLN-RJ452)

balun_bnc-to-Rj45.jpg

Last edited: