Hikvision 7616-E2 8P - Initial Setup advice

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Probably should've posted here instead of in the Hik camera section!

Just looking for any advice on configuring the NVR for first time use and how to best configure my router as well (port forwarding etc).

Looks like I can't use the Netgear free DDNS service so assume I will have to sign up for another service.

Anyhow.. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One thing I'm a bit confused about is on the port forwarding side. I am using a netgear router (switched back to the standard firmware as I was having issues with ddwrt). In the port forward section it asks for the service name...do I select ftp ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I'm a bit confused about is on the port forwarding side. I am using a netgear router (switched back to the standard firmware as I was having issues with ddwrt). In the port forward section it asks for the service name...do I select ftp ?
Select custom.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks..but there is no custom. There is ftp,http,quake,real,icuii,RealAudio, telnet, a couple others.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Re ddns. I do have a mynetgear ddns account setup, but it doesn't appear to be in the selections for the NVR. Seems to imply I need a DynDNS, IPServer, PeanutHull, NO-IP or Hi DDNS account?
You dont have to use the NVR to update the DNS...just have your router do it.
Thanks fenderman. Is this just a matter of setting up the netgear ddns on my router (which I've already done) and then port forwarding once I figure that out?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman. Is this just a matter of setting up the netgear ddns on my router (which I've already done) and then port forwarding once I figure that out?
yes, then in the remote viewing app you will enter you netgear ddns hostname instead of your external ip..

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Must be doing something wrong. Port forwarded, but keep getting a timed out error in ivms 4500.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Must be doing something wrong. Port forwarded, but keep getting a timed out error in ivms 4500.
what ports have your forwarded? for the nvr you need to forward 8000 and 554.
Have you tested the ports with canyouseeme.org

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ah.. Forwarded 80 instead of 8000..working now thanks!

More dump questions to come I'm sure.. :)