Hik cube camera went dark

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Hik cube camera mounted in my garage that has been working well for several months. Daytime and low light picture quality look same as usual. All of a sudden on 11/2 at about 2am the camera went dark. It appears the IR is out from what the picture looks like however I can see a faint red glow when I look at it at night. I have checked that the IR is enabled and the day night is set to auto. I have rebooted the camera to the default settings and gone over everything I can think of. Any ideas appreciated?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Hik cube camera mounted in my garage that has been working well for several months. Daytime and low light picture quality look same as usual. All of a sudden on 11/2 at about 2am the camera went dark. It appears the IR is out from what the picture looks like however I can see a faint red glow when I look at it at night. I have checked that the IR is enabled and the day night is set to auto. I have rebooted the camera to the default settings and gone over everything I can think of. Any ideas appreciated?
The IR filter may be stuck..try tapping it...also try a complete reset.

korakora

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I also had something like that, in my case because the camera power shortage

1. if you use the adapter to plug directly into the camera, try to replace the adapter with a larger amp

2. if you use poe and think power amp is enough, try changing utp cable that cable to many loss power

now my camera was never anything like that again, but if the two points that you have done is still so well try just suggestions from fenderman :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am powering it with an 8 channel LTS POE NVR. I have three separate runs to the garage for the three cameras I have mounted there.
try changing the port and see if anything happens...also might want to take it down, and test it will a short cable and see if that helps.

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
try changing the port and see if anything happens...also might want to take it down, and test it will a short cable and see if that helps.
Milk recommended I do both of these things as well which I plan to do. This is on the shortest of the three runs the other cameras are 2032 exir turrets and so far so good on them. Hopefully it is the camera and not the NVR, even though they are both still under warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No difference with camera installed on a different POE port same dark picture. I need to move a bunch of stored patio furniture in order to be able to remove the camera and test it with a shorter cable.

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well after testing with a short cable it appears the IR has failed. The new camera has been shipped and the RMA issued for the return. Great customer service and warranty from Milk.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well after testing with a short cable it appears the IR has failed. The new camera has been shipped and the RMA issued for the return. Great customer service and warranty from Milk.
Can't beat his service!! If there is ever an issue that can't be readily fixed, he sends out a replacement cam asap!! That's one of the reasons I stick with LTS instead of Alie.

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can't beat his service!! If there is ever an issue that can't be readily fixed, he sends out a replacement cam asap!! That's one of the reasons I stick with LTS instead of Alie.
I agree totally no real savings when you include the warranty and outstanding support.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I agree totally no real savings when you include the warranty and outstanding support.
Everything has a three year warranty to include their hard drives! Tell me if any other company meets that expectation!

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know you're getting a replacement, however can you tell if the camera 'clicks' when going from day to night mode? If not, then I would think it's your IR filter mechanism that has failed.

waluso

n3wb
Reaction score
Also, if you turn on the lights and it's all instantly color the filter is probably the issue. If it black and white for a bit then color it's probably the IR LED. Either way getting a replacement is great :)