High CPU Usage

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I had same BI setup for over a year and it was running 25-30% CPU. But the past few days it jumped to 65-72%.

It is 3500 kB/s / 311 MP/s

16GB ram / i5-8500

HA for all as it is the I in the column under HA

running just 4 cameras at really max I guess but I always had this setup on this computer without issue so not sure why it would jump. It is not an update as I rolled back and still have high CPU usage.

It still runs without any lagging and can play back videos and clips and alerts easily on main BI computer but I the high CPU seems odd

Seems CxUIUSvc service is using a lot of CPU usage. Could it maybe be the latest Windows update that messed up a driver causing the high CPU issues?

I just ended task on CxUIUSvc and it seems to be normal CPU usage now.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you running DeepStack?

Regardless, even if it is a Windows update that messed with it, that machine and 4 cameras should be sub 10% CPU if not 5% or less. A member here is running 50 cameras on a 4th generation CPU at 30%.

You need to shut Windows updates off!

Is there a reason why you have not done EVERY optimization in the wiki?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have done every optimization in wiki.

I simply think it is due to running mainstream and high settings for 4 cameras felt I could just do it as main BI machine feed is being used with the help of a HDMI splitter.

What is his final numbers with his setup - mine are
3500 kB/s / 311 MP/s

I have 2 8mp cameras also

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are running substreams? That is a major component of the CPU savings.

I am on a 4th generation running way more cameras than you and BI sits at 15% at 20,000kB/S and 228 MP/s

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are running substreams? That is a major component of the CPU savings.

I am on a 4th generation running way more cameras than you and BI sits at 15% at 20,000kB/S and 228 MP/s
I am running main streams

2 8mp 2 2.1mp

i don't know why so high but it has always been like this but i use main BI machine for viewing so maybe that is issue

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just offering a point of reference, Ryzen 2700, 16 GB Ram, BI5, two Dahua 5442, one Dahua 2231 VF, a dahua wedge, recording 24/7 and using substreams;

8 - 10% CPU usage, less than 4 GB RAM usage. I have a couple more cams I have hooked up on/off for testing that are not permanently mounted, yet to cross 13 - 14% CPU.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then you are not doing EVERY optimization LOL. The substreams option is a tremendous CPU savings and does not have any degradation regarding the use of the system.

If there were any disadvantages to using substreams, do you think so many here that are security minded would be using it?

From the wiki:

Sub streams typically reduce CPU usage by 5x to 20x and make a struggling system run great. The full quality main stream is still recorded and available when you need it.
When you configure a camera in Blue Iris to use a sub stream, Blue Iris will pull video from both the "main" and "sub" streams. Each stream is used for different purposes.
The main stream is used for:
  • direct-to-disc recording
  • single-camera live viewing and recording playback
  • audio

The sub stream is used for everything else:
  • multiple-camera viewing
  • motion detection
  • alert snapshots
  • etc.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then you are not doing EVERY optimization LOL. The substreams option is a tremendous CPU savings and does not have any degradation regarding the use of the system.

If there were any disadvantages to using substreams, do you think so many here that are security minded would be using it?

From the wiki:

Sub streams typically reduce CPU usage by 5x to 20x and make a struggling system run great. The full quality main stream is still recorded and available when you need it.
When you configure a camera in Blue Iris to use a sub stream, Blue Iris will pull video from both the "main" and "sub" streams. Each stream is used for different purposes.
The main stream is used for:
  • direct-to-disc recording
  • single-camera live viewing and recording playback
  • audio

The sub stream is used for everything else:
  • multiple-camera viewing
  • motion detection
  • alert snapshots
  • etc.
Ok how do you run sub/main stream in BI then? I guess I did miss that part :)

I have been running 4 cams like this at 35-40% since doing this setup - i suppose it is the use of mainstream only.

So the video will still be clean when viewing on BI main machine even using substream?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your cameras already have substream enabled and you are on a BI version released in the past year, just go to the camera setting in BI and select the substream pulldown:

1627318196995.png

From the wiki:

First, make sure you have enabled direct-to-disc for the camera, otherwise the sub stream won't be used.
Important: After you configure the sub stream, you need to reconfigure motion detection. Any zone definitions will be lost when you configure a sub stream. If you are modifying an existing system make record of your current zone definitions so that they can more easily be reconstructed.
Go to the Network IP camera configuration panel. Blue Iris has separate inputs for the Main and Sub stream paths. First, try the dropdown box to the right of the word Sub to see if it has options. If so, it is likely that one of them will be what you need. If not, you can enter main and sub stream paths manually in the text boxes further to the right. The path you'll need to enter varies by camera manufacturer, but usually the difference between the main stream path and the sub stream path will be a single digit.
Dahua cameras

• Main Stream: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0
  • 1st Sub Stream: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1
  • 2nd Sub Stream: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=2

Dahua Configuration Screenshot

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok how do you run sub/main stream in BI then? I guess I did miss that part :)

I have been running 4 cams like this at 35-40% since doing this setup - i suppose it is the use of mainstream only.

So the video will still be clean when viewing on BI main machine even using substream?
As I understand it, BI uses the substreams for motion detection, displays with multiple cameras up at the same time. Switch to a single camera and it brings on the main stream for that camera. Direct to disk recording doesn't display the stream, just records it, so that is where the savings is. I am running 10 cameras, half 2MP, half 4MP, including one LPR with OpenALPR, and Deepstack, running at 15%-18% on an i7-6700. My previous machine, an i7-3770 would be less than 30%.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your cameras already have substream enabled and you are on a BI version released in the past year, just go to the camera setting in BI and select the substream pulldown:

View attachment 96312

From the wiki:

First, make sure you have enabled direct-to-disc for the camera, otherwise the sub stream won't be used.
Important: After you configure the sub stream, you need to reconfigure motion detection. Any zone definitions will be lost when you configure a sub stream. If you are modifying an existing system make record of your current zone definitions so that they can more easily be reconstructed.
Go to the Network IP camera configuration panel. Blue Iris has separate inputs for the Main and Sub stream paths. First, try the dropdown box to the right of the word Sub to see if it has options. If so, it is likely that one of them will be what you need. If not, you can enter main and sub stream paths manually in the text boxes further to the right. The path you'll need to enter varies by camera manufacturer, but usually the difference between the main stream path and the sub stream path will be a single digit.
Dahua cameras

• Main Stream: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0
  • 1st Sub Stream: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1
  • 2nd Sub Stream: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=2

Dahua Configuration Screenshot
Interesting - my dahua cams is using Generic/ONVIF and main is default with just a slash "/"

Not sure if I can get a substream like this.

I am using direct-to-disc recording.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What version of BI are you on? Just use "find and inspect" in the video configuration tab. BI will fill in the rest for the main stream automatically, then you can select the sub stream you want to use from the dropdown that pops out when you click on the sub stream.

I'm running 20 cameras on an i7-6700K and DeepStack, GPU version, and the CPU sits around 20% during the day and drops as low as 10% at night.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What version of BI are you on? Just use "find and inspect" in the video configuration tab. BI will fill in the rest for the main stream automatically, then you can select the sub stream you want to use from the dropdown that pops out when you click on the sub stream.

I'm running 20 cameras on an i7-6700K and DeepStack, GPU version, and the CPU sits around 20% during the day and drops as low as 10% at night.
ok - BI5 but imported settings from very early bi so maybe that is why.

my CPU is at 35-37% with this setup now might have to leave it due to viewing main-stream on bi.

72% CPU was with CxUIUSvc enabled for some reason - disabling it brought it back to 35%

I suppose if I do sub-stream it would be much lower but the setup is there so I might not touch it.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
for the CxUIUSvc problem. Do a google search, it recommends doing a reinstall of teh sound driver from the manufactures web site. Or just disable the sound.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
for the CxUIUSvc problem. Do a google search, it recommends doing a reinstall of teh sound driver from the manufactures web site. Or just disable the sound.
Hmm... I did not see that just that you have to disable it. The sound driver has been giving me issues with pop-up. "Failed to create conexant. Audio Factory, The SmartAudio will now exit"

I hit "ok" and just pops back up. How do I get rid of this?