Hi from Western Canada

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Guess I should introduce myself.
I do hang out on another forum, not sure how I found this one, but seems to be a bit more active, and a lot less drama than the other one, nice to see!

I'm a bit of a camera addict from Western Canada. I started in 2000 when I got an Osprey analog video card, and salvaged an analog web cam from a client's pc. Using Zoneminder I'd connect remotely and spy on my dogs. Worked ok, but left some to be desired.
Then I added a couple of cheap Trendnet wireless IP cameras and a D-link. Switched to Blue-Iris, and thought it was pretty good.
Kept an eye on the dogs, and also the front door.

A couple years ago I read about the Hikvision 2032, and ordered a couple from Nelly's. Wow, these make my Trendnet and Dlinks look like major pieces of sh ummm junk.

Got 3 more Hiks from Aliexpress, and am lovin' them. 2 more on order now, hopefully that'll be enough.
Once they're here I'll finish up doing some tricky wiring runs, and have everything just the way I want. Really handy when on vacation to confirm that the dogsitter is there and the dogs are ok.

Also recently shuffled 3 of the Hiks around to assist with mouse detection. Empty traps don't always mean the mice are all gone, as the video proved a couple of times :) Really impressed with how the 2032 and BI did with the detection (samples in the video section)

Also love dashcams, won't drive without one, whole family has 'em.

Edit:

Also getting addicted to home automation. Have some Insteon devices and an ISY controller.
May look into some coding to integrate the 2 some time soon. Handy to be able to turn on a light when a camera isn't in night mode, or open/close the garage door. Mrs. Penguin thinks I may be out of control in the geek dept, but it does come in handy, when she gets a text that she forgot to close the garage door on the way to work, she calls me, and I close it.