Here for some reading

pluddy

n3wb
Reaction score
I've done some initial research and haven't really learned anything, but I have found out that there is much more reading to do than I thought there could possibly be. This seems like a good place to start.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome!

Many find this thread to be a good start at learning camera basics such as chase sensor size not MP and get the proper focal length for the distance you are wanting to IDENTIFY.

It also includes the most commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night:

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, if you have questions after reading, people will try to answer them.
I came out of necessity to find out how to expand / improve an existing System
only to find out the whole thing was in the Neolithic Era.
Then after buying an Amazon cam from Jidetech, and being dissapointed with the sparse user interface, and - translated menu's that did'nt make sense,,,I started paying attention in here.

pluddy

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome!

Many find this thread to be a good start at learning camera basics such as chase sensor size not MP and get the proper focal length for the distance you are wanting to IDENTIFY.

It also includes the most commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night:

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection
Thanks that's an excellent post. I've forgotten much of what I used to know about optics. I remember finding it incredibly annoying how my dad's telescope with a 12" primary mirror seemed to work just fine with the "bright light" plate put on it... a plate that covered the mirror but had a 3" hole cut into it, off-set to one side even. Heck you could stand in front of the thing and still see. I know near nill about sensors though.

When I saw that cameras are $100 each, I figured I better do some research. After just minimal reading, it doesn't look like it'll get cheaper :lmao:.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah those $100 cameras tend to be 4K on sensor designed for 2MP, so at night it would need 4 times the light to produce the same brightness of a 2MP, so the higher MP is basically useless at night!

But some good cams can still be got for under $200 - less than many Ring cameras!

pluddy

n3wb
Reaction score
Well now I see some evidence of crappy cameras. This was shot at 4k, 60fps with the best Akaso camera (bargain GoPro knockoff). The video looks good, but pausing for a still makes it look much worse. The fish was about 2’ away and the turtle was 10’. Granted there’s more at play with underwater images. The red has been enhanced way up and blue lowered a bit. There’s also a good bit of haze in the water from floating particles.
IMG_1969.pngIMG_1970.png