Help with ANPR setup - great picture but no auto plate recognition

damame

n3wb
Reaction score
Dear All,

Some of you may remember a previous post of mine. I bought a 2CD7A46G0/P IZHSY from a US vendor who told me it would work in the UK. I was unsure as I couldn’t select Europe/UK as firmware was locked to Americas and Africa.

After some trial and error I found it did capture my car plate via the “Smart Display” viewer when I played around with it in our driveway when the camera was connected directly to my LAN. The car was at a distance of approx 7m from the camera when it was captured.

Wind the clock forward and I’ve mounted the camera in the desired location. Mount height is approx 5m and distance to vehicles is approx 25-30m (viewing angle of ~16 degrees). It is now connected directly to a 7716NI-I4 16P NVR and not to my LAN.

I get great video quality. At night I can see car plates at this distance no problem. If I record video I can playback and slow down video to read the plates. However, the camera is not automatically recognising and storing the numbers and I would like some help in trying to figure out why.

I’ve configured the camera and NVR per guidelines that I’ve found online. NVR is on latest firmware. For some reason I am unable to update the camera firmware that is suggested for the camera (5.8.50 240116). The process is slow and gets to shy of 50% complete and aborts with a network error. This happens whether the camera is connected to the NVR or direct to my LAN.

Given I am able to clearly read the plates at the desired distance I am confused as to why the camera is struggling. It’s not the end of the world as the goal was to be able to capture plates, but it would be far more convenient if I didn’t have to manually scroll through footage to view them.

I’d be really grateful for any thoughts or advice. Thank you

damame

n3wb
Reaction score
Turns out my NVR (UK spec) and camera (US spec) have trouble communicating as neatly as I would have liked.

Adding the camera via ONVIF and setting up email notifications has sold my problems in this regard, so now working as expected and hoped.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For some reason I am unable to update the camera firmware that is suggested for the camera (5.8.50 240116).

It is due to its size, there is middleman firmware that allows uploading such huge firmware to the cam. Middleman firmware is aprox 90MB and its only removing some limits or timeouts.

damame

n3wb
Reaction score
For some reason I am unable to update the camera firmware that is suggested for the camera (5.8.50 240116).

It is due to its size, there is middleman firmware that allows uploading such huge firmware to the cam. Middleman firmware is aprox 90MB and its only removing some limits or timeouts.
Interesting. How does one get access to “middleman firmware”?

as an aside the ANPR function records pictures of plates for any cars moving away from the camera (rear of the car), but does not seem to capture them when a car is coming towards the camera. If I play back the video it is as clear as day, so it’s not a huge issue but a bit annoying. Grateful if anyone knows why this might be happening?

Thanks

damame

n3wb
Reaction score
You can check or uncheck direction trigger.

The 'middleman' firmware(One does need to know certain people :)):
Thank you.

Unless I’m mistaken I can’t find direction trigger anywhere in the options presented to me on stock firmware other than in the linkage method, and there I have “All” checked.

damame

n3wb
Reaction score
The firmware upgraded easily enough but now if I click on Road Traffic under VCA nothing happens.

I can access the general settings, so it seems the issue is specifically with the road traffic settings. Any ideas?

I love the new look of the interface. Much more modern and intuitive to use. Big step forward!

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did u upgrade the 1Gig+ firmware after this middleman firmware? If so factory default

damame

n3wb
Reaction score
I have now and the settings are back. Furthermore I can select Europe/UK, thanks so much! Really grateful for your help.

Again loving the new interface, but seems like the smart display, or real time analysis to detect plates is not longer part of the interface is that right?

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It is, but you need to open with Edge(Internet explorer mode)

or copy this in notepad and save as IE.vbs

CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application").Visible=true

damame

n3wb
Reaction score
I cannot thank you enough. In my eyes right now it’s turned a product that was good into something that is great.