Help please in choosing the right camera for my application

one wolf

n3wb
Reaction score
Intended use and requirements:
    • Camera will be mounted on an existing galvanized pole that extends out of the roof near the corner of the house.
    • I am an engineer and have no problem customizing the mount and building a watertight ebox to house electronics if necessary.
    • I will run power and cat5 to the attic where there is an AC outlet and router is in the room immediately below where camera is mounted - less than 30' from camera to router including twists and turns (more like 17' line of sight if you could see through the ceiling and roof).
    • Camera will be about 25' above ground with 270° of horizon range (remaining 90% blocked by roof).
    • Waterfront (saltwater) environment
  • Intended use:
    • Manual remote monitoring of the property grounds. I want to keep an eye on the weather, the water, dock, boat, driveway, foot traffic, street, etc. Our house is in a commercial area with lots of activity. Everything I want to see is within 270° of camera view. No trees.
    • PTZ is a must
  • Additional requirements
    • Connectivity - wired via 30' cat5/6 cable direct to router. Wireless cam access is not required.
    • Motion detection - NOT required. While nice, we are in a high traffic area including nearly constant large birds (seagulls, herons, pelicans, etc.), parking lot next door with much car traffic, boats on the water, etc. Motion detection is not a practical option for me for this camera.
    • Audio - NOT required. I will use my imagination.
    • Local computer requirements - I prefer not to require one but if necessary I have a laptop that stays at this house. I would prefer the camera communicate with the cloud via my router with no local PC required.
    • Smart phone remote access - yes definitely
    • PC/web remote access - yes definitely
    • Router configuration - I am tech savvy enough to port forward and any other required settings.
    • Security - we have nothing secure to protect on our network or within camera view. Our router is open and neighbors use it. It is basically considered a public network. I will setup a secure password for the camera but frankly if it is ever compromised and someone was able to access the camera, I wouldn't care. I have nothing to hide at this location on our network or in our yard. Both are very public places.
    • Picture quality: as high as possible. Optical zoom is a must. If someone is on my dock I want to be able to zoom in and see who it is.
    • Stability - very important. I don't mean camera stability (anti-shake) but hw/sw/connectivity stability. We are away from this house for a month at a time often and a camera that requires a manual reboot with any regularity would be useless. I need to be able to install and configure everything once - and then have it run stable for months at a time including recovery after power outages (which are not uncommon - we're on an island).
    • Budget. Less than $300 preferably but if there is a significant quality difference between the $270 unit that would work for me, and the $600 unit, then I would certianly consider that.

I have done some research. The outdoor foscam on amazon looks like it would work for me but the reviews scare me off. I have no idea the quality differences among brands and even types of cameras, thus hoping this wonderful forum can steer me with their wealth of knowledge based on my above stated use and requirements.

Thanks so much in advance for any and all input!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Stay away from foscam if stability is what you are looking for. The reviews are there for a reason.
Look at dahua, hikvision or even the huisun ptz mentioned on this forum.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Intended use and requirements:
    • Budget. Less than $300 preferably but if there is a significant quality difference between the $270 unit that would work for me, and the $600 unit, then I would certianly consider that.
Thanks so much in advance for any and all input!!
Camera costs $100.00, mount costs $40.00, if you have an existing pole and a ladder. You have to pull/bury wire, depending on the distance you can buy that on amazon, max 300 ft.... PC costs $250.00, HD costs $70.00. You are an engineer? 1 camera? Drop the Iphone, Android and get into the computer age. Sorry for being mean... What you want is simple... Go to you're local home depot, they have 4 channel analog for cheap. :) I know this sounds bad. This is really simple, PM me and I'll help you out.

Last edited by a moderator:

one wolf

n3wb
Reaction score
Camera costs $100.00, mount costs $40.00, if you have an existing pole and a ladder. You have to pull/bury wire, depending on the distance you can buy that on amazon, max 300 ft.... PC costs $250.00, HD costs $70.00. You are an engineer? 1 camera? Drop the Iphone, Android and get into the computer age. Sorry for being mean... What you want is simple... Go to you're local home depot, they have 4 channel analog for cheap. :) I know this sounds bad. This is really simple, PM me and I'll help you out.
No pull or bury necessary. Prefer to avoid a PC as I mentioned. Why do I need an HD? Link me the $100 camera you speak of and we'll go from there. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
270 degrees? you need either multiple cams or a PTZ like this one (huisun/imporx):
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/OftXVna
you may need to use a pc to set it up, but can be monitored remotely via various apps (rtsp stream via VPN or hole in firewall).
and if you're not gonna have a pc or NVR on-site, it has an SD card onboard...

one wolf

n3wb
Reaction score
270 degrees? you need either multiple cams or a PTZ like this one (huisun/imporx):
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cC1GjXVq
you may need to use a pc to set it up, but can be monitored remotely via various apps (rtsp stream via VPN or hole in firewall).
and if you're not gonna have a pc or NVR on-site, it has an SD card onboard...
Thank you for the reply. Yes I mentioned in my requirements that "PTZ is a must."

Curious how does an SD card help me?

Thanks again.

one wolf

n3wb
Reaction score
Stay away from foscam if stability is what you are looking for. The reviews are there for a reason.
Look at dahua, hikvision or even the huisun ptz mentioned on this forum.
Thank you for your reply. Any model in particular from those models that you recommend given my use case and requirements? They have dozens.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
well, if you don't have a local PC or NVR recording the cam's video, it can record to itself.
of course, you can always have the cam push pix or video to the cloud also, but do you have the bandwidth for that?

one wolf

n3wb
Reaction score
I have no desire to record anything aside from image captures as I'm watching in real-time. Is 5-10Mbps inadequate for streaming?

- - - Updated - - -

Was my initial post too long? I thought I was pretty clear in what I'm trying to do but the responses lead me to believe I was not at all clear. :-/

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
the cam i suggested will do what you want and then some, when you realize you need it... :)

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds a bit like my setup. Use that lappie and run BI (and BItools and Ui2), and I hardly ever visit my Win10 lappie. All enjoyment on my Nexus 6 and chromebooks, and the only servicing of the lappie comes on update day and Java updates (one of the reasons I despise Windows, go Linux if you can). PM me and I can give you a login to my cam and you can play. Cheers!

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score