Help out a n3wb plz

Reaction score
New at all this so any information or suggestions are welcomed with open arms. Home was burglarized shortly after moving in so I'm looking to add a little more security with cameras in addition to my security alarm. Got the idea from my neighbor who has some amcrest 960h cameras. After doing some research on this great site I quickly found that is not recommended brand... I'd like to set up 4 exterior cameras, something like this..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hikvision-DS-7104N-SN-P-NVR-DS-2CD2032F-I-DS-2CD3132-I-2TB-HDD-CCTV-System/121823826116?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20150313114020&meid=feb278d7d02d48519b23c993d29b186b&pid=100338&rk=3&rkt=15&sd=121787126153

Or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6PG3FX6554&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Surveillance+Security+Systems-_-9SIA6PG3FX6554&gclid=CLDbuvjOvskCFZY0aQodrTQIig&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ideally I'd like to be able to watch my place live feed from my laptop, iPad or phone using an app. Set up alerts to be sent to me with motion in certain areas.

Few questions...
1. Can I power these cameras with a POE switch? What budget friendly POE switch do you recommend? If so do I only need to use an either net cable to attach to the cameras?
2. The cameras says the firmware on the camera should not be updated, is this normal? Do/will I need to update the firmware?
3. Will this NVR function for my intended purpose?
4. What else will I need to complete the system to have it fully functioning?

I know I'm asking a lot so anything you can contribute is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Minneapolis Welcome to the forum. Dont buy your cameras from ebay or newegg. Those will likely be china region cameras. Take some time to learn the difference between US region and china region. You can buy US region cameras for almost the same price as offered on newegg. Check out the thread by milkisbad and nellys security.
1) the NVR has built in POE
2) see above - they are china region and you will not be able to update firmware. You also get no warranty, despite their claims...shipping back to china is prohibitive - assuming the seller is still in business. Hikvision will not support the cams.
3) yes. If you want more flexbility and control look at a pc with blue iris software. If you use a third party vms like blue iris then china region cameras can be used because firmware updates are not needed. However, if you shop properly, you can get US region cameras for just a bit more than the china cams.
4)Nothing

Reaction score
Thanks you! I will take your advise and do more research and follow up after that. Hopefully I can piece together a similar system to the ones above for a similar price.... Do you have a link to threads you are referring to possibly?

dalepa

Reaction score
Welcome to the group! That's how many of use start out. Here's my recommendation for your first camera setup.

1. Hikvision 2335 2.8mm(widest field of view) or 4mm
2. i5 or better PC with BlueIris Software
3. TP-link POE Switch
4. Ethernet Cable (if needed)
5. Crimping tools (if needed)

My first camera went in over the garage, and is a good place to start. 2.8mm will give a wide angle, but I used 2 4mm cameras which cost double, but results in a closer view to the subjects.

My second camera went in over my front door at 2.8mm.

Then:

1. Mount the hik 2335 (above the garage door in my case)
2. Run 1 ethernet cable from the camera to the POE switch (which is normally close to your router)
3. Run 1 ethernet cable from the POE switch to your router
4. Configure the Hikvision camera with SADP tool
5. Install Blue Iris and add the camera.

Done

New at all this so any information or suggestions are welcomed with open arms. Home was burglarized shortly after moving in so I'm looking to add a little more security with cameras in addition to my security alarm. Got the idea from my neighbor who has some amcrest 960h cameras. After doing some research on this great site I quickly found that is not recommended brand... I'd like to set up 4 exterior cameras, something like this..

Few questions...
1. Can I power these cameras with a POE switch? What budget friendly POE switch do you recommend? If so do I only need to use an either net cable to attach to the cameras?
2. The cameras says the firmware on the camera should not be updated, is this normal? Do/will I need to update the firmware?
3. Will this NVR function for my intended purpose?
4. What else will I need to complete the system to have it fully functioning?

I know I'm asking a lot so anything you can contribute is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.