Help - in over my head - 32-40 camera system

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies - a lot to take in!

I can see how my original post indicates I am looking to save hard drive space! Actually, my worry was bandwidth of the NVR (am sure I got this term wrong!?).

If I can have continuous recording, that is great, but if you take 32-40 cameras at say 2mp at a frame rate of say 15fps (average), then what kind of bandwidth will we need? We would want to be able to remotely access, monitor etc if needed. Initially thought there may be an off-the-shelf solution, but couldn't find something suitable as the total the NVRs could handle seemed low. Am happy to build a windows box from scratch with something like Blue Iris if that's the best solution, but would prefer turnkey unless it's big $$$ difference?

In terms of cameras, I don't think we'll be at the $1000 mark, more towards $350 for the internal stuff (small domes in hallways), and a bit more for the externals. Actually UK based so pricing is all relative etc. $27000 for 9 cameras, NVR etc sounds outrageous - but then it may be some serious hardware they're packing! =)
Now is a good opportunity to make the engineer work for that money and show you his bandwidth calculations. ;)

If you're going wired to a good switch or nvr today, you should be fine.

Last edited: