Help choosing WIFI home Security Cameras and Blue Iris

BKAP

n3wb
Reaction score
HELP! I have researched, read reviews and cannot make a choice on the right security camera for me. I want to log in anytime, look on my iPhone ,iPad or Mac and see what is going on. Pan, Zoom, Tilt and audio with want realtime alerts, text or APP alert. I think I have it narrowed down to Foscam, Amcrest or Vimteg? (I started with Canery) and ruled it out. I think I am on the right track? I also would like to get Blue Iris since the reviews say this is a GREAT enhancement to the cameras. Can anyone help me narrow it down to one? I am going to put one in my window looking out, maybe one on second floor window sills outside? This is something I have wanted for many years but did not want to wire my house or DVR the footage. Any honest unpaid for help would be appreciated. Maybe some real personal experience.
Thank you

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
HELP! I have researched, read reviews and cannot make a choice on the right security camera for me. I want to log in anytime, look on my iPhone ,iPad or Mac and see what is going on. Pan, Zoom, Tilt and audio with want realtime alerts, text or APP alert. I think I have it narrowed down to Foscam, Amcrest or Vimteg? (I started with Canery) and ruled it out. I think I am on the right track? I also would like to get Blue Iris since the reviews say this is a GREAT enhancement to the cameras. Can anyone help me narrow it down to one? I am going to put one in my window looking out, maybe one on second floor window sills outside? This is something I have wanted for many years but did not want to wire my house or DVR the footage. Any honest unpaid for help would be appreciated. Maybe some real personal experience.
Thank you

First - Don't get those cameras - spend some more time looking around this site and you'll figure out why, especially if your considering running BI.

Second - Your going to be very unhappy pointing cameras out windows as the IR will reflect directly back off the glass and blind the camera from dusk to dawn.

Third - You realize the point of Blue Iris is to document footage and provide remote access with a ton of customizable features and requires a dedicated PC - right? You say you don't want to DVR footage...

Fourth - Based on your comments above - I'm not sure you really know what you want, or possibly what you believe you want isn't exactly what you "need".

Fifth - Try to stay away from wireless cams - hardwired is always best.

Final thought - really need to spend some more time doing some research.

BKAP

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey, Thanks! Part of my problem is what I want does not "Exist" in one camera! As always I am expecting to much form these wonderful "Engineers" that don't have a clue what the public wants (but thats the control)...??

I have read a lot of folks are pointing cameras out their windows, it can be done. No screen, light outside, some put tape on or turn off night sight. Is it true? Don't know?

As for the BI, I read on some sites selling it as packages with cameras stating it works with MAC, I stumbled across this site today and it is the first time I read "PC Only" then I went to their site and they sent me to iTunes to download it??? $10. So what is the truth? I know what BI does, an incredible enhancement of control to your security system. Correct?

Here is my hurdle, I live in a "Board Run" POLICING style DEVELOPMENT, They will fine you for anything I want! They also are taking pictures inside our houses and doing "Stalking" type patrolling. We have no way to stop them!

I purchased "RING" what a let down within 3 days! This was one disappointment after another from the moment I had to download the app!

As for "Want and Need" that is the American way! We have to much because we get what we want. If we only purchased what we/I need WELL.... Thats not me!! I want it all.

Why stay away from wireless recording onto a memory card? That is the only way I am getting remote access? Correct? Somethings I am great at, this one is not it, but Iam a big girl and can admit that!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As for the BI, I read on some sites selling it as packages with cameras stating it works with MAC, I stumbled across this site today and it is the first time I read "PC Only" then I went to their site and they sent me to iTunes to download it??? $10. So what is the truth? I know what BI does, an incredible enhancement of control to your security system. Correct?

!
Blue iris will not run on mac. The itunes app is a MOBILE app that requires the windows server. Running any vms software on a mac is silly. You want to dedicate a pc to the vms, and mac are ridiculously over priced. A 300 dollar fourth generation i5 haswell will be way more than sufficient for your application.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey, Thanks! Part of my problem is what I want does not "Exist" in one camera! As always I am expecting to much form these wonderful "Engineers" that don't have a clue what the public wants (but thats the control)...??

I have read a lot of folks are pointing cameras out their windows, it can be done. No screen, light outside, some put tape on or turn off night sight. Is it true? Don't know?
This is "true" in some ways. I have seen some sites where people have taken a camera like a Nest Drop cam and taped it flush to there window with no screen and it does "work" with minimal reflection, but it is far from perfect. Also if you want a PTZ camera to look out a window this isn't going to work as it needs to rotate. This will work with no screen and IR turned OFF but this camera will be pointless at night then.

As for the BI, I read on some sites selling it as packages with cameras stating it works with MAC, I stumbled across this site today and it is the first time I read "PC Only" then I went to their site and they sent me to iTunes to download it??? $10. So what is the truth? I know what BI does, an incredible enhancement of control to your security system. Correct? I'm not a BI user, however I've seen a lot on this site regarding it and what your talking about I've never heard - especially for $10, here is the BI developers website - http://blueirissoftware.com/

Here is my hurdle, I live in a "Board Run" POLICING style DEVELOPMENT, They will fine you for anything I want! They also are taking pictures inside our houses and doing "Stalking" type patrolling. We have no way to stop them!
If you live in the US, your crazy to think they can legally take pictures of the inside of your home without permission. You do have rights - as for the "patrolling" and all around "ass hole HOA mentality" - that comes with some neighborhoods.

I purchased "RING" what a let down within 3 days! This was one disappointment after another from the moment I had to download the app!
Been there, done that, sent it back after two weeks.

As for "Want and Need" that is the American way! We have to much because we get what we want. If we only purchased what we/I need WELL.... Thats not me!! I want it all.

Why stay away from wireless recording onto a memory card? That is the only way I am getting remote access? Correct? Somethings I am great at, this one is not it, but Iam a big girl and can admit that!
If you want a camera that will record to a memory card and you can check once in awhile they you are correct - if you want to stream video to a BI PC and record 24/7, it is always better to be hard wired.
Its hard to make a recommendation here as I don't know what your restrictions are - can you place cameras outside under your HOA agreement? If you are allowed, are you capable of running wires from the camera location back to a central point where the NVR could be placed?

If you are limited in your technical ability or physical install options there are some new wireless products on the market that are getting some fair reviews for the average DIY consumer.
Netgear Ario has faired well in reviews and at CES this year:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2477316,00.asp
http://www.cnet.com/products/netgear-arlo-smart-home-security-kit/
http://www.arlo.com/en-us/?cid=PSarlogoogleps10.26AW-Brand&gclid=COeJ9bCz2coCFQoqHwodlA0KXw

Nest obviously has faired well also for inside monitoring:
https://nest.com/camera/meet-nest-cam/

There are a few others, but the above are the most widely available in the consumer market now. Again, most on this forum are mid level to advanced DIY'ers and can speak to hard wiring cameras, different cams based on mounting location, different NVR's for recording etc. However, based on your comments above of wanting to point out windows, strict HOA, I don't know what you can or can't do. So above are two of the most entry level easy to use consumer wireless cams. I have NO expereience with these however, i'm just linking you to options based on reviews in magazines I've read or articals/videos I've seen online.

BKAP

n3wb
Reaction score
Where have all of you been for the last month! THANK YOU Everyone, lots to think about, look into and help with finding something to start with.

OK, Here is the next question, I run 3 routes now, I have the best internet speed I can buy and "ring" has lag and sticking. So I am ready to put out another $200 on another router. Am I on the right track?

Yes, I am all Apple all the way, at one time I despised Apple but Apple has paid for itself over and over in lasting, service, no anti virus, no trips to the computer store for one reason or another. And much more! Don't miss windows/PC at all.

I worked for a LONG time in sales and marketing, so reviews are important, the mags and "Push Bought" I got it for free to try blog/reviewers are something I see right through. I know "almost" everyone can be bought. I ruled out arlo and Nest for several reasons. 1. Just being bought and sold companies, the other arlo is moved by hand a still indoor camera. If Nest had better reviews and no cloud fee I would go with them.
But I want to be happy for $200 and since the RING ordeal I am running scared!
BTW since it is installed in the trim of the house I am married to it! The cost to fix the 4 holes is not worth taking it down.
Only 1 will be through the window and I will have backup on the 2ND floor with a camera.

As for the HOA, yes we know what is happening is not legal, but prove what she is doing. When a person moves into a "Contract" run community there are a few constitutional rights they legally can make you give up. Right to wave the American flag, right to have anything religious out (it is offensive) and the list goes on here. Since I am on the list of homeowners that is being attacked I must have the downstairs camera for now inside. I am never going to get it approved.

Thank you Everyone, Keep it coming I thrive on the knowledge and I assure you it will not go to waste :loyal: