Hello, new guy here

sMatt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

just wanted to say hello. I’ve been lurking for a bit and just decided to take the plunge to join and started to look more seriouslay at cameras, etc for my home, mostly to monitor my fenced in backyard from neighbor kids incursions.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll be surprised what other nocturnal critters may pass your way as well beside the neighbors kids.
Mr. Fox paid me a visit last night. Good thing i noticed he didn't trip some of the other cams. So I had a chance to readjust my " winter settings" from the Frozen tundra, now that the Ice Age has retreated for another 6 months.
Hopefully i'll catch him on the back yard cam now.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
This cam was able to be in color on the Snow pack. Now i have to go back and tweak it to B&W w IR. Coyfox.jpg
Here I got caught again with no IR enabled. ( although another cams IR illuminated part of the scene. Horrible image. This is usually when Murphy's Law of "dammit All" happens. What everthing is out of sorts. And Scarface runs throught scene trying to introduce us to " his Leetle Fren"
1681546483909.png

sMatt

n3wb
Reaction score
You'll be surprised what other nocturnal critters may pass your way as well beside the neighbors kids.
Mr. Fox paid me a visit last night. Good thing i noticed he didn't trip some of the other cams. So I had a chance to readjust my " winter settings" from the Frozen tundra, now that the Ice Age has retreated for another 6 months.
Hopefully i'll catch him on the back yard cam now.
We do get many birds in our yard during the daytime. I think at night I’ll have to keep an eye out for the rabbit. We do get bobcats and other creatures in my area, but most do not wander into the neighborhoods.

sMatt

n3wb
Reaction score
:welcome:

I have been very happy with Blue Iris and Dahua (Empire Tech Andy Rebrands), recording almost 3 years 24/7 on many of my cams with zero issues.
I’m starting out with blue Iris and amcrest cameras… mostly out of expediency… but will probably go to dahua based on feedback here and my needs are. It seems like with any endeavor, the more I learn, I’ll he more likely I’ll join you all “down the rabbit hole” with the right camera for the job .

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’m starting out with blue Iris and amcrest cameras… mostly out of expediency… but will probably go to dahua based on feedback here and my needs are. It seems like with any endeavor, the more I learn, I’ll he more likely I’ll join you all “down the rabbit hole” with the right camera for the job .
welcome @sMatt Amcrest are Dahua OEM .. and sometimes they have larger sensor models available, and sometimes have a nice deal ..

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Empire Tech cams (Dahua rebrands) are also available on Amazon which is a speedy way to get them.

Look at the 5442 turret, highly regarded here. IPC-T5442TM-AS is the model. $152 currently on Amazon

sMatt

n3wb
Reaction score
Well , 2 network switches, 1dell opti plex, and 2 cameras…. I still hate making rj45 jacks. At least this was a good excuse to buy new crimping tool, and a basic cable tester. If I need to run mount more cables, I should only need network cables.

now time to learn blue irsis and research to see if I need an NVME drive.

Reaction score
Well , 2 network switches, 1dell opti plex, and 2 cameras…. I still hate making rj45 jacks. At least this was a good excuse to buy new crimping tool, and a basic cable tester. If I need to run mount more cables, I should only need network cables.

now time to learn blue irsis and research to see if I need an NVME drive.
You should be OK with that ssd.

sMatt

n3wb
Reaction score
I was planning to keep the blue iris DB on the SSD and just direct record to the western digital purple . I only have 3 cameras so far. I plan for at least 2 more… but no rush to install as it starting to get to hot to do work in the attic.