Hello from north of the border!

ipmania

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First post! Noob here. Am glad I found this forum. Lots of good info.

Looking to add security cameras to a couple of households, first for an aging parent and, later, for my own home.

I'll create threads for my questions. I'm just posting to say "Hi!"
:thumb:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Have a look in the Wiki in the blue bar at the top of the page. There's a ton and a half of good, solid, information in there covering all aspects to design and install a successful video surveillance system. Read that material and decide what your actual goals are. Find choke points that need to be watched and vulnerable points that need to be watched. Don't assume anything, especially how well "kits" may work out. They are generally lower end cameras with short foal lengths and small sensors with high resolution. That combination, small sensor and high resolution, makes them very unreliable at night when we need the to be most reliable.

Don't chase resolution, chase the ratio of sensor size versus resolution -
720P - 1/3" = .333"
2MP - 1/2.8" = .357" (think a .38 caliber bullet)
4MP - 1/1.8" = .555" (bigger than a .50 caliber bullet or ball)
8MP - 1/1.2" = .833" (bigger than a 20mm chain gun round)

Don't believe all the marketing hype no matter who makes the camera. Don't believe those nice night time captures they all use. Look for videos, with motion, to determine low light performance. Any camera can be made to "see" color at night if the exposure time is long enough, as in half a second or longer. Rule of thumb, the shutter speed needs to be at 1/60 or higher to get night video without blurring.

Read the reviews here, most include both still shots and video.

Avoid Reolink, Foscam, SV3C, Nest, and all the other consumer grade cameras. They all struggle mightily at night and never get anything useful on video. Here's a link to a whole thread debunking Reolink in particular.

Compiled by mat200 -

A collection of various consumer grade failures -

Avoid WiFi cameras, even doorbell cameras. WiFi is not designed for the constant, 24/7, load of video that a surveillance camera produces. At best, with two cameras on WiFi, they will still experience dropouts multiple times daily. Murphy's Law says that will happen at the worst possible moment.

Lens size, focal length, is another critical factor. Many people like the wide, sweeping, views of a 2.8mm lens but be aware that identification is problematic with a lens that wide. Keep in mind that it may take two cameras, or more, to provide the coverage you need or desire. Another factor that effects view angles is the sensor size. Typically larger sensors will have a larger field of view in any given lens size.