Hardware Requirement- which Motherboard is best suited to run BI for 24/7 operation?

SpinnerRow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Re: Hardware Requirement- which Motherboard is best suited to run BI for 24/7 operati

Another vote for building my own system here! My reasoning was to get as small a case as possible so that it would fit in my family room entertainment console.

Mine is an i3-6100 (max four cameras in my system but only two right now).
- $119 mobo and cpu
- $69 8gb high speed ram
- had the SSD
- Had the win7 license (have three more left from old dead computers)
- $109 for a 3TB Seagate Surveillance drive
- $30 Power Supply
- $39 Very small case.
- $15 for a super quiet Noctua fan.

$379 or so total. Not eactly cheap but if I have to buy the 3TB surveillance drive no matter what, $349 for a prebuilt and then another $110 for the drive puts me a bit ahead financially. But again. I've been building my own computers since the late 80s.

ret60sp

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: Hardware Requirement- which Motherboard is best suited to run BI for 24/7 operati

Your system build is pretty close to my own. There are a couple of alterations you might consider. Since you are putting this rig in your attic, I recommend you liquid cool the CPU with a Corsair Cooler of your choosing. Second to that, you might consider an alternative CPU - I'm sure I'm going to get blasted for the suggestion here but here goes: The Xeon E3-1225 v3 CPU does not have native video codecs but it is designed to run in a server environment with high loads and 24/7 operation. It benchmarks right inline with the i7-4790 but it will last longer in a hostile environment. To reduce the CPU overhead have a separate PCIe video card with a really good cooling apparatus for the GPU and your system might survive being in your attic. If I understand the software architecture of BI correctly, your video recording performance can be enhanced with the tweaking of a high-end Nvidia chipset on a good video card. The GTX series are becoming affordable so adding a 970 to your setup will give you a solid system. Keep your attic insulation at least a foot away from your system and for the first few months I'd check the internal dustbunny buildup weekly and blow out the system to see if it needs an environmental change before you cook something or set fire to your attic. Keep an eye for any potential rodent damage in the winter months when they are looking for warm places to call home. Good Luck