Hardware accelration issue

winston_j_allegath

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
helo, i am runnning the latest blue iris build (beta) and when i turn on hardware accelration i notice my cpu jumps up. should i be using default, intel, or intel vpp

im runing 8 amcrest 4k cams h265 codec with substreams at 10fps and sense ai

specs are 11th gen i5 1145g7e
64gb ram
1tb nvme ssd
8tb platter for storage

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, yet the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU (internal or external) is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using hardware acceleration.

My CPU % went down by not using hardware acceleration. But if you use it, use plain intel.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why use it. As I said the CPU% needed to offload is more than the CPU savings.

The more powerful the machine the less you need tricks like HA to save CPU%.

It served a valuable purpose at one time but it isn't really needed now that BI supports substreams.