Hardware acceleration use cases

AnnaBelle

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a solution to use 19 older cameras, 13 of which are ACTi ACM-4200 1.3MP 5fps, 4 are IQeye511 1.3MP 5fps, a Hikvision and a noname dome camera both also about 5fps and 1.9MP.

It all use to run on a server with old software, that I believe milestone bought, Intel Q9300 quadcore and 2GB ram, but the system drive died and I don't have license keys or install files for the software anyway. But it use to run fine on that.

I installed Windows7 and BlueIris(licensed) on a new SSD on this Q9300 quadcore and upped it to 6GB ram

My problem is that the Hikvision and the 13 ACTi cameras always run fine, but the 4 IQeye511 and the noname dome, often drop to 0.7fps or simply stop doing any fps

If I disconnect the 13 ACTi cameras, the IQeye551 cameras then seem to work a lot better on their own.

I can only really assume then, that this is due to the server being too old and slow for BlueIris, or that the method (jpeg refresh) BlueIris talks to the IQeye511 cameras with, needs a lot more power to run, than the ACTi cameras do.

So I've been looking at a Dell T20 as a replacement server, since the Intel E3-1225 has hardware acceleration.

But does hardware acceleration help with non h.264 cameras, would hardware acceleration help with these types of cameras?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a solution to use 19 older cameras, 13 of which are ACTi ACM-4200 1.3MP 5fps, 4 are IQeye511 1.3MP 5fps, a Hikvision and a noname dome camera both also about 5fps and 1.9MP.

It all use to run on a server with old software, that I believe milestone bought, Intel Q9300 quadcore and 2GB ram, but the system drive died and I don't have license keys or install files for the software anyway. But it use to run fine on that.

I installed Windows7 and BlueIris(licensed) on a new SSD on this Q9300 quadcore and upped it to 6GB ram

My problem is that the Hikvision and the 13 ACTi cameras always run fine, but the 4 IQeye511 and the noname dome, often drop to 0.7fps or simply stop doing any fps

If I disconnect the 13 ACTi cameras, the IQeye551 cameras then seem to work a lot better on their own.

I can only really assume then, that this is due to the server being too old and slow for BlueIris, or that the method (jpeg refresh) BlueIris talks to the IQeye511 cameras with, needs a lot more power to run, than the ACTi cameras do.

So I've been looking at a Dell T20 as a replacement server, since the Intel E3-1225 has hardware acceleration.

But does hardware acceleration help with non h.264 cameras, would hardware acceleration help with these types of cameras?
No, that JPEG refresh stuff is garbage, I can only assume the old software was doing something special to make them all work. Hardware acceleration only works with h264/265, and you'll need an Intel CPU with Integrated graphics to do it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@AnnaBelle Replace the jpeg cameras..
Also the q9300 is a major power hog...you are wasting good money every day...buy an efficient optiplex 7040 i5-6500 or i7-6700... No need for the T-20
Also fyi, the E3-1225 is based on the 4th gen haswell...you can get an i5-6500 based optiplex for 300 or so when on sale

AnnaBelle

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

@fenderman Sadly we don't seem to get amazing Dell sales here in Europe, so right now Optiplex 7040 (i5-6500) is twice the price of T-20 (1225v3), which even that is 400usd.

The setup is a 30min drive away from me right now, but I already replaced 3 of the 4 jpeg cameras with some 720p china ones I found, just to see how if it would run better with non jpeg cameras. Before I left, I did see those having a low drop in fps. So must be that the system is hitting its limit.
Those 3 cameras do sit on the same PoE switch, but so does one of the ACTi cameras, which again always runs totally fine.

Today I got a new 4MP Hikvision I will try as well (with lowered settings), but it does seem like either swap/remove the jpeg cameras or a new server.