Hard Drive Size

vbprof

n3wb
Reaction score
I wonder whether if there is any easy way to know how big the hard drive I will need for recording with Blueiris. I have 16 cameras, 6 are 4MP and 10 are 740p. I have a 2TB hard drive, trying to record continuously x 5 days duration. It is warning me that it is already 1.96TB full. How do I calculate the hard drive size for 5 day worth of continuous recording with those 16 cameras? Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The ONLY thing that matters with respect to storage capacity is bitrate...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Man, if you had just told us how much retention you are currently getting with your 2 TB drive, we could have easily given you a straight and simple answer. :)

Look in Blue Iris at the status window (4th button along the top). Click the Cameras tab. At the bottom of this tab it lists the current cumulative bit rate of all your cameras in kB/s. Type this value (or an approximation, as it is always shifting) into google and multiply it by 5 days, like this:

Google:
"16600 kB/s * 5 days"

and it will tell you the result. e.g. 7.1712 terabytes

Try to be precise about the capitalization of the units, as you could easily type in "16600 Kb/s * 5 days" and get an answer of 896.4 gigabytes which would be wrong because you'd have mangled the unit.

vbprof

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. I guess the key to get the KB/s is from the status menu. Once we get the total kB/s, everything else would be straight forward.