Had my cameras up for a week and already caught a thief on video...

ChrisDav

n3wb
Reaction score
I just started getting my surveillance system up and already have video of a suspect. I only have 2 of my cameras up and they are just my overview cameras. I'm still waiting to get those awesome varifocal cameras to zoom in to the street where i can get LPs.

A neighbor a few streets away posted on the next door app that there was an old beat up blue dodge pickup driving around the neighborhood stealing packages. Since i just installed this system I hvae it set to email me a snapshop of all motion events while i try to finetune the motion detection. I remembered seeing a truck matching that description drive past my house.

Forwarded it on to the police and they already found the guy.....

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice work, luckily for you and your neighbors he was driving something unique enough looking to identify.. and not a Toyota Corolla or something like that.

in these cases the LEO can usually look through nearby plate cameras at intersections and find what they need to find the vehicle and owner, and potentially identify the driver.

ChrisDav

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, thankfully it's very unique. What's funny is when i looked at the snapshot I thought to myself that it looked odd.... We live in a gated community and I'm very familiar with most of our neighbors cars. This was not one of them. A couple hours later I saw the Nextdoor post.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I was on nextdoor for like 2 days and then felt like it gave away too much information, like my actual name and my address. I've been burglarized and I am very paranoid and feel like some scumbag could use it as a platform to choose their next victim. perhaps if it were a little more anonymous. Also unless someone has video of him actually taking a package I'm not sure they can do much, unless the "HOA" has the power to ban people from their fancy little hood.

ChrisDav

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah I hear you. The victim saw the truck and person. They just didn't have a picture. So this helped them know what they were looking for. No idea if the suspect still had the property in the truck

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I hear you. The victim saw the truck and person. They just didn't have a picture. So this helped them know what they were looking for. No idea if the suspect still had the property in the truck
print out a screen shot and post it on your mailbox. "we're watching you". lol.

ChrisDav

n3wb
Reaction score
Haha there's an idea. I really like the turret style camera. With them mounted in the soffit They are difficult to see if you aren't looking hard. Not sure of that's good or bad

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Haha there's an idea. I really like the turret style camera. With them mounted in the soffit They are difficult to see if you aren't looking hard. Not sure of that's good or bad
yeah, I mean you can kinda get the best of both worlds I guess if you use turrets, which look better, and put up signs that say there are cameras. I had one on either side of my mailbox but they blew away during the last hurricane and I dunno where they went, then my mailbox got plastered last week, so I need to get some more signs and figure out where I wanna put em. Most people don't take out the cameras, they either ignore and or cover their face. Putting up signs can cause people to look for the cameras, which causes them to look right at it and give you a wonderful shot of their face. I think I'd rather aholes know I have them than try to make them stealth.