Hackers Infect Army of Cameras, DVRs for Massive Internet Attacks

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
[h=2]Hacking shows vulnerability of internet devices, security experts say[/h]
Perhaps this article would be better titled "What happens when IP tools are put in the hands of fools."

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wouldn't say fools. The majority of people are clueless about basic cyber security. Vendors certainly don't make it easy to update their products, but they sure market and sell the crap out of them. I would say you are a fool if you were aware something would adversely affect you, but you chose to ignore it. Better education is needed. For all of you out there port forwarding - be warned.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't say fools. The majority of people are clueless about basic cyber security. Vendors certainly don't make it easy to update their products, but they sure market and sell the crap out of them. I would say you are a fool if you were aware something would adversely affect you, but you chose to ignore it. Better education is needed. For all of you out there port forwarding - be warned.
You're right @rotorwash. These devices are marketed as plug 'n play appliances and many come pre-enabled for catastrophe at no extra charge. But for suQs sake...isn't there enough news and warning of the danger out there so that the simplest of us will realize that every IP device carries risk?

Me thinks not.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am pleased that most of the active members on here are now VPN Advocates, when these forums first started up it felt like I was the only one using VPN, so I went out on a mission to change that.. and after a couple of years of screaming VPN at everyone asking how to port forward its taken a strong foothold, others have done it.. realized how easy it was and are now VPN Advocates them selves.

If your savvy enough to DIY a decent video surveillance system, your savvy enough to use VPN.. no excuses.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...when these forums first started up it felt like I was the only one using VPN, so I went out on a mission to change that.. and after a couple of years of screaming VPN at everyone asking how to port forward its taken a strong foothold, others have done it.. realized how easy it was and are now VPN Advocates them selves...
Yea...we had us a come to Nayr meeting.