GV-Hybrid LPR with Blue Iris; Green Screen

pbowen2112

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been using Blue Iris for a little over a year with various cameras here at work with no issues at all...until now that is.

We recently had some thefts from our scrap yard out back. There is only one way in and one way out and the outdoor cameras spotted a truck coming and going late at night that night, but we can't tell much more from the footage. It was an outdoor low res Foscam in night mode.

I bought a MicroSeven high res camera that is already connected through Blue Iris and running perfectly. This camera is great at night; with ambient light and iR off. It will be good for identifying the vehicle and perhaps it's occupants. However, I have found during testing that it is still not clear enough to read a license plate day or night. So, I bought a GeoVision GV-Hybrid LPR 10R to run in conjunction.

Testing on the bench of the GV LPR with the included GV software goes flawlessly. However, when I add it to the Blue Iris, I get an image that is all green except for one line at the top. This line appears to show actual feed from the camera, but can't say for sure. I used the "Inspect..." function and BI chose a generic RTSP as the camera model. I tried several other camera models in the BI drop down menu to no avail.

I downloaded iSpy and added the GV to it through its wizard and it works fine, I get the full screen of the camera feed. The settings appear to be exactly as those for the same camera in Blue Iris. The path, ip, ports (both HTTP and RTSP), and path are the same.

Any ideas why I can't get live feed in BI?

Thanks in advance for your time.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum..what version of blue iris are you running? if its BI4 64 then it could be an issue with the 64bit conversion...I would email support to try and work this out.

pbowen2112

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you Fenderman and thanks for the prompt response.

I am running BI 3.54.01 64bit.

I have emailed support at BI early yesterday, but have yet to get a response.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok, so its 32bit BI (only version 4 has the optional 64 bit)...its possible that an updating to a newer version of BI3, would help..only the 3.66 full install is available on the website but if you want to try i can upload the update for a version that is close to 3.66...

pbowen2112

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for sticking with me Fenderman.

Today I downloaded the full 4.0 and installed it. It immediately updated to 4.01 upon first start. My problem still persists.

In the meantime, I received a response from BI support. They suggested upping the receive buffer. I did in several increments all the way up to their max of 20.0. Still no Joy.

They went on to say that if that didn't work, what I was seeing was the result of an unsupported or corrupt video stream. I might buy that were it not for the fact that it works in iSpy with no issues using the same RTSP settings.

Any further thoughts?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with you, if it works in ispy it should work in BI...when you select the camera from the dropdown, are you using the generic rtsp stream and adding your own path?

pbowen2112

n3wb
Reaction score
I used the "Inspect now..." Function in the old version and it chose the generic RTSP camera and found the path (/CH001.sdp) for me.

iSpy wizard came up with a path of rtsp://admin:admin@10.251.69.71:554/CH001.sdp. I assumed the path in BI is just the last part since the other info in the string is provided elsewhere. However, I did try the whole path as shown in iSpy in BI with no success.

Odd thing is, if I try to add the camera again in the new version of BI using the "Inspect now..." button, it still sets it to the generic RTSP, but it will no longer automatically find the path...strange...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a setting in the camera that lets you set the main stream compression type and choose between mjpeg and h.264? If so make sure its set to h.264.
You may also want to try using the 32 bit version of BI4.
Post some screen shots of the image settings in the cameras interface...maybe there is something there that will help.

pbowen2112

n3wb
Reaction score
Freakin' BOOM! Fenderman; you are indeed the MAN!

There was a setting for video signal type. It was set to MPEG. I changed it to H264 and the feed is now visible in both iSpy and BI.

Thanks a million my friend!

pbowen2112

n3wb
Reaction score
AAAAAND, it appears I have graduated from "n3wb" to "Young grasshopper"...a banner day indeed!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Freakin' BOOM! Fenderman; you are indeed the MAN!

There was a setting for video signal type. It was set to MPEG. I changed it to H264 and the feed is now visible in both iSpy and BI.

Thanks a million my friend!
Awesome! Glad to help...sometimes its the little things...

biggie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@pbowen2112 do you mind uploading some sample images from that cam? I'm thinking about getting an LPR cam and came across these. Just curious if they are worth the money.

Last edited by a moderator:

pbowen2112

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey biggie, gimme a little bit to see what I have. The camera is on a back driveway that rarely gets traffic. I'll see what it has captured lately.