Greetings / Rate my setup

Erebusnz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Firstly, love this forum, there is so much information on here that I have spent countless nights reading (before any though of posting) and don't doubt I have a lot more reading to go as am a total newbie to all of this.

I'm on a budget for this setup so starting smallish and planning on building up over time.

So far I have:
An old gaming rig (I7 2600k, alas no z series motherboard so no quick sync)
Blue Iris
A IPC-T5442TM-AS 4MP Starlight+ WDR IR Eyeball AI Network Camera, to serve as a test mule and work out what my other camera needs are (e.g. better range, better NVR etc).

Planning on picking up:
ASUS VPN router (haven't worked out which one yet)
POE Switch: Buy the EDIMAX 8-Port Fast Ethernet Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports(150W) 802.3at. ... ( ES-1008PV2 ) online
NIC card (for dual NIC setup)
Additional cameras when testing is complete.

Initial plan is for 4-5 cameras with the ability to scale up to 7, all external.
Depending on how the old 2600k holds up I'll buy a PC to replace it.

Have bookmarked the excellent post by TL1096r on dual NIC and my setup will look a lot like the image from their post:

The main difference is that i will have 2 routers, one is the one from my ISP which is a bitch to replace so will just run the ASUS downstream from it.

Much much longer term I may look into having Blue Iris run on a windows VM on an UnRaid box. My wife is a photography hobbyist and has thousands of photos she wants to keep (she is a digital hoarder) so have some needs around storage. Haven't even begun to look into this but is somewhat desirable to remove the need to run two machines.

I'm based in NZ so hardware is less available and more expensive here hence why the switch alone is nearly $200 :)

Happy to have any feedback or suggested improvements (or things I may have missed entirely).

Thanks.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum .
You are off to a good start.
On the ISP router, check if you can put the ISP router into bypass/ pass-though/ bridge mode so it is only a modem. Some times you need to call support of really dig deep into what ever documentation they have.

Erebusnz

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum .
You are off to a good start.
On the ISP router, check if you can put the ISP router into bypass/ pass-though/ bridge mode so it is only a modem. Some times you need to call support of really dig deep into what ever documentation they have.
Excellent suggestion, exactly the sort of thing I was after. Thanks, will look into that option.