GrapheneOS

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does anyone use it on their phone?

I have been a longtime iphone user and my 6 year old phone is on its way out. I am considering getting going to android, buying a pixel and loading Graphene on it. It is my understanding that if I goto the Verizon store to buy one that they have it factory locked and not able to load the OS onto it. From what I read it is recommended to buy a unlocked phone.

My question is, If I guy a pixel right from google which is unlocked, will I be able to go to Verizon and have it activated?

What I don't want to do is buy a android phone to load Graphene on and find out I am not able to do that and now be stuck with a android. (If that would be the case I would rather stick with a iphone because that is all I know.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You have to understand there are two "locks" that people talk with phones. First is the SIM card lock. This is a lock that prevents you from changing to another service provider. Most service providers will place this type of lock on your phone if you are purchasing the phone on an installment plan. If you buy it outright, or bring your own phone, then it either won't be SIM card locked or they will remove the lock upon request.

The second type of lock is the "boot loader" lock. Every new phone will come with this lock activated from the factory - even those sold as "unlocked". This prevents someone from loading any unauthorized software/OS on the phone. However if your phone is sold as "bootloader unlocked" then you should be able to turn this lock off in the phone's settings. Doing this will factory reset your phone but it doesn't require that you actually install a new OS. It just gives you the option to install something else in the future if you want to. Of course you can leave the option locked and only unlock it when you are ready to install something.

Verizon has consistently blocked their "Verizon" model phones from have the ability to unlock this bootloader. This means that any "Verizon" specific phone will never be able to have the bootloader unlocked even if the manufacture makes non-Verizon models that can be bootloader unlocked. The Google Pixel phones are a good representation of this. You can buy an "unlocked" Pixel phone that will work on Verizon and allow you to unlock the bootloader if you choose, but if you buy the Verizon model of a Pixel phone, it will be permanently bootloader locked and you will never be able to install custom ROMs or similar software on them.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the phone generally has to be SIM card unlocked before you can unlock the bootloader. For example, if you buy an AT&T model Pixel phone on installment plan through AT&T, you will likely have to pay the phone off and get the SIM card lock dropped before you will be able to bootloader unlock the phone - even though the phone is designed to allow you to bootloader unlock it. This is to prevent people with a locked SIM card from simply unlocking the bootloader and installing software that would bypass the SIM card lock.

If you buy one of the "Unlocked" Google Pixel phone models, it will come from the factory without a SIM card lock and you'll have the option/ability to unlock the bootloader should you decide to. This is probably the best option for anyone considering rooting and/or installing other software on their phone. And yes, you can take any of the Pixel phones and use them on the Verizon network.

Hopefully that helps.....

I have not personally tried the GrapheneOS on my phone, but I am mildly interested in trying it out. I used to unlock and root all of my phones going back at least a decade, but I stopped doing that with my last two Pixel phones. I just didn't have a compelling enough reason to unlock and root the phones.

Last edited:

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you buy one of the "Unlocked" Google Pixel phone models, it will come from the factory without a SIM card lock and you'll have the option/ability to unlock the bootloader should you decide to. This is probably the best option for anyone considering rooting and/or installing other software on their phone. And yes, you can take any of the Pixel phones and use them on the Verizon network.
Being a Verizon customer, where would I be able to find a unlocked model? I have been burned once on ebay by what ended up being a knock off apple watch for my wife (So I don't care for going that route.) I see Best Buy offers unlocked phones. Would I be able to walk in there, buy a unlocked pixel and then have them activate it to Verizon?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Being a Verizon customer, where would I be able to find a unlocked model? I have been burned once on ebay by what ended up being a knock off apple watch for my wife (So I don't care for going that route.) I see Best Buy offers unlocked phones. Would I be able to walk in there, buy a unlocked pixel and then have them activate it to Verizon?
Yes, you can buy Unlocked Pixel phones from Best Buy and other retailers. You can also buy directly from the Google store. I've gotten most of my Pixel phones directly from the Google store, but I have used Best Buy for at least one phone purchase (I think for a Pixel 3a XL). All things being equal, I like the idea of Google handling my purchase so there is no question when it comes to warranty work, etc - although truthfully I have never had any warranty work done on any cell phone I've owned.

Right now the Google store has Pixel phones on sale at very attractive prices IMHO. I just recently upgraded to the Pixel 7 (from the Pixel 6) and think the Pixel 7 is a great phone. It's definitely better than the Pixel 6 in real life - although the specs look very similar. The Pixel 7 is only $499 at the Google store. Another option would be the Pixel 6a. This is a "downgraded" version with slightly worse features, but it is on sale for just $299 which is a great price for the features you do get. My wife has a Pixel 6a and doesn't have any complaints about it. The Pixel 7 Pro offers some extra features over the Pixel 7 (like a telephoto camera, etc), but honestly I don't think it is worth the extra cost over the Pixel 7 (which is why I got the Pixel 7 myself). They offer the "Unlocked" version in all of these different models.

I will also note that the Google store is also having a friends and family referral campaign right now. If you order a phone through the Google store with a referral code, you and the person that referred you both get $100 in future credit to use at the store. (It unfortunately doesn't take an addition $100 off the phone order - you'll get the credit in a couple of weeks). Its a great way to get a free pair of Google Buds A Series or something else later. I don't want to post my referral codes out of respect for the forum, but I do have valid codes. If you end up wanting to purchase through the Google store just DM me and I'll send you a code. That way we both get $100 in future credit. However if end up wanting to buy it at Best Buy or some other place, please don't hesitate to purchase it that way too.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Verizon iphones are only locked for like 60 days or 90 days, So it would stand to reason there Android type products would be similar, talk to them directly,,,Google it..maybe. i was just reading my terms of service on my Verizon iphone 14....I recall something aout a 60 day lock of some kind. the nice thing about an unlocked verizon phone is the compatibility on the competing frequency spectrums. GSM and whatever the fuck the other one is.

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Verizon iphones are only locked for like 60 days or 90 days, So it would stand to reason there Android type products would be similar, talk to them directly,,,Google it..maybe. i was just reading my terms of service on my Verizon iphone 14....I recall something aout a 60 day lock of some kind. the nice thing about an unlocked verizon phone is the compatibility on the competing frequency spectrums. GSM and whatever the fuck the other one is.
That is for the SIM card lock. (Service providers do this to prevent someone if stealing new, unsold phones and using them). We are primarily talking about bootloader locks in this thread.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought this thread was about a new Linux Distribution :banghead: