GHI DDNS down?

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use GHI DDNS for a couple of my clients and it seems that myself and they cannot access their cameras and I cannot access the ghiddns com site. Is anyone else experiencing this issue??

kindzior

n3wb
Reaction score
I use GHI DDNS for a couple of my clients and it seems that myself and they cannot access their cameras and I cannot access the ghiddns com site. Is anyone else experiencing this issue??
Yes, I am a user and our system is down the ghiddns com site is not working. Does anyone has a solution to fix this issue ?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I am a user and our system is down the ghiddns com site is not working. Does anyone has a solution to fix this issue ?
I would find another DDNS service to use. Sounds like this one isn't coming back anytime soon if at all. Here is a hint look here:

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would find another DDNS service to use. Sounds like this one isn't coming back anytime soon if at all. Here is a hint look here:

well yea, that’s not good for me… at the moment… I’m out of town (for AT LEAST another 2 weeks) and one of my customers is PISSED, even though it’s not my fault

ChaproNet

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi did you find a work around for GHI DDNS not working, I have several customers are down

thank
Victor
ChaproNet - Chicago and Los Angles

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Not really much you can do as a work-around if they're gone other than switch to another DDNS provider.

If they have a static/stable IP you might be able to substitute the IP until you get things set up again.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^.
Or even if their public IP is dynamic it might stay still long enough. If so, someone at that site there could go to whatismyip.com and tell you what that IP is so you can log into the new DDNS provider and change their hostname to that IP.

At least then the DDNS provider server can find the hostname until you can get their router or client software configured to the new DDNS provider.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
well yea, that’s not good for me… at the moment… I’m out of town (for AT LEAST another 2 weeks) and one of my customers is PISSED, even though it’s not my fault
Maybe you could do something remote via something like zoom or Google meet? In a pinch I think you could register a domain for about $10 even if it’s just temporary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
This happens when you sell cloud services from another company to your customers...

I think you are also the guy who unsecure your customers networks by opening ports.

So what to say all about.. your customers should maybe consider to call a professional who is smart enough to uses stable services and secure ways.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This happens when you sell cloud services from another company to your customers...

I think you are also the guy who unsecure your customers networks by opening ports.

So what to say all about.. your customers should maybe consider to call a professional who is smart enough to uses stable services and secure ways.
I'm curious.....How did you come to those conclusions....and so quickly?

I must have missed something. :idk:

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm curious.....How did you come to those conclusions....and so quickly?

I must have missed something. :idk:
1. What has a camera installer to do with dynamic dns services ?

2. Why are his account creds stored in a customer router ?

Its even unsecure that the installer know the host , so theoretical he has access 24/7 and watch. Wow.

And this is what he says
"seems that myself and they cannot access their cameras"

Last edited:

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If your selling this stuff for a living I would make a Netgate pfSense appliance a mandatory part of the setup. The Netgate SG1100 is $179. Not only would you then be able to remote manage over VPN, and actually secure their network, you could also get them a legit domain name for 10-20 years from a trusted company like NameCheap and set up your own dynamic DNS server in pfSense. If they don't want to spend the extra $200 then they can't be upset when their stuff goes down cuz they got what they paid for.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Its even unsecure that the installer know the host , so theoretical he has access 24/7 and watch. Wow.

And this is what he says
Never mind...please forget I even asked. :blankstare:

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

And this is what he says
Let’s start from the bottom up… “Seems that myself and they cannot access the cameras” these are business locations not residential properties. They want me to be able to access the system in case there may be some unforeseen issue or pull video (which is charge them for)

my account creds are stored in a customer router because I also manage their network. Business grade clients that is.

you even heard of separating LAN traffic and firewall rules?? DDNS is fine since the system is on its completely own LAN (and NOT a separate VLAN, completely separate network, with firewall rules in place to prevent potential access as well). Otherwise, QR code it is.

you also may be thinking “why don’t you just set up a VPN for them”. At which point, I’d tell you, I don’t manage everyone’s network and most clients want me to be able to access the system, therefor that’s not always possible. But where possible, I configure it that way as well.

Finally, if the property is a residential property, I do QR code, they could, but don’t have to, share that limited access if they so choose, and THEY have ALL credentials. I also configure (and disclose to them) that I set myself up as a user where I have no live view permissions and no playback permissions and cannot see ANYTHING on their property, but am able to see if their system goes offline or something, to be proactive about the situation.

but hey man, thanks for adding sooo much value to this thread. Your post REALLY helped the original point greatly. I bet it feels good to take jabs at, what you’d think is, low hanging fruit, just to build your post count and rep ey?

Last edited:

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Let’s start from the bottom up… “Seems that myself and they cannot access the cameras” these are business locations not residential properties. They want me to be able to access the system in case there may be some unforeseen issue.
So if your computer get lost/stolen/hacked ... someone else has access to your customers? Great!
So if something happens there they will always blame you? Great!

its completely own LAN (and NOT a separate VLAN, completely separate network, with firewall rules in place to prevent potential access as well).
Own internet connection or are you connecting two routers together? Your router is an exposed host in the first router? Or just forwarding and forwarding? Double NAT?
In my opinion you are creating more insecureness than security.

“why don’t you just set up a VPN for them”
And now you are telling you are NOT using a vpn and forward the nvr/camera ports? Great!
So not only you and your customers have access, instead everybody else has also ? Great!

Have you read this?

In my opinion there is so many things wrong in everything. But yeah.. not my problem. Problem of your customer.
.. So the main question is...

IppKJ.jpg

@whoami ™ is right. Use Netgate service or If you dont want to go deep in someone else network or they dont want to pay for it, leave it alone and if they want to use remote view/access to a camera sytem, just use p2p cloud. In my opinion p2p cloud is more secure than what you did.

Last edited:

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
“So if your computer get lost/stolen/hacked ... someone else has access to your customers? Great!
So if something happens there they will always blame you? Great!”

Too bad I always have my laptop with me, strong password protection, and have never had a laptop stolen, nor do I put myself in those situations. I use Mac only so, yea, good luck hacking into my computer. Finally, and here is the kicker! I use a windows VM on my Mac where the VM is stored on a separate portable hard drive, which is also encrypted and resides separately from my laptop, unusually at the office. You’d literally need to know that you need my specific laptop and that specific hard drive just to even access the VM, and once you somehow figure that out, you’re met with another password for the VM and then more passwords to access Windows, and then more passwords to access any camera system. I don’t even want to get into explaining where I also have 2FA set up…

“Own internet connection or are you connecting two routers together? Your router is an exposed host in the first router? Or just forwarding and forwarding? Double NAT?
In my opinion you are creating more insecureness than security.”

Lol! 2 routers together?? Um, don’t you know there are firewalls with a LAN1, LAN2, even LAN3 and LAN4 ports ports on them? I’ve had one case where client had a firewall set up and managed by someone else, so, they had to purchase a 5 static IP block and I had to put in another firewall, creating a completely different network, so they can access their cameras safely.

“And now you are telling you are NOT using a vpn and forward the nvr/camera ports? Great!”

I didn’t say I don’t use a VPN. And, as you know, ports don’t need to be open with VPN. Other clients use QR code, and those who need to rely on a DDNS have separatelan traffic

“In my opinion there is so many things wrong in everything. But yeah.. not my problem. Problem of your customer.
.. So the main question is...

View attachment 105149
[/QUOTE]”

In my opinion, I think you need to stop post count or like harvesting and actually attempt to add some value where you post.