Getting Dahua Cams to play well with Lorex NVR (NR9163)

Reaction score
I recently purchased a couple of Dahua starlight cameras from @EMPIRETECANDY , one is a IPC-HDBW4231FP-AS mini dome wedge and the second is a IPC-HDW4231EMP-ASE eye ball turret. (First, I want to say: Great service and quick delivery from Andy. Thank You!)

I first bench tested them by connecting a patch cord to the PoE switch and I configured the cams to use on my Lorex NVR, model NR9163 (also referred to as NR916 or NR916x ) the cams worked, and would show up in the 1-4 matrix or multi-view screens. However they would not show in the 1-8, 1-9, or 1-16 views. Their respective boxes would just be black, or blank. But they would show properly on mobile devices, in multiple viewing apps.

I connect all of my cams via IP over a separate PoE switch not the PoE in the NVR, due to my own choices as far as wiring considerations of the house, and the location of the NVR. Thinking that it might be a network setting issue, I did a comparison of the existing cameras and the new units, and changed everything to match. (ports, passwords, etc) I still had no matrix view on them, so I tried direct connecting one of them to the NVR for testing purposes. Same result, so it appears it is not a network settings issue.

I then jumped on here and posted and searched about my issue. New Dahua 4231 cams on Lorex NR916 don't show on multi-view screens. Several members were able to offer helpful suggestions. I went through the suggestions and changed all of the camera settings to match the existing cams including the sub-stream as was suggested. (Or so I thought) After trying several things I tried changing the connection protocol to ONVIF, it worked! ( but with the possibility of losing some features.)

@mat200 made another suggestion and apparently his search skills on here are superior to mine! He found this little gem.

Replace my Lorex 4K (lnb8005) with a starlight (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE)

in particular please see the following post:

It turns out that in the camera settings, for the sub-stream there is a drop down box I missed. Once you select it, you can see sub-stream2. Which, as it turned out was not enabled. Once enabled everything worked as it should. I was able to change the protocol back to the default instead of ONVIF. The NVR calls it Display Stream.

Screenshots of the setting:

Hopefully this will help out others in the future, so they don't have the frustration I did with this.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @Brunosplace

Notes, executive summary:
Remember to check the IP address, port, user / password settings and sync them between the cameras and NVR channel. Also - check the substream as Brunosplace describes above.

Gotchas:
Not all Lorex branded NVRs are Dahua OEM, and this procedure is for Lorex branded Dahua OEM NVRs.
Note - currently Lorex branded Dahua OEM NVRs do not have the IVS features enabled.

FYI - references :

from: New Dahua 4231 cams on Lorex NR916 don't show on multi-view screens

Thanks to @Fourier, @z71pilot , and others who helped post their experiences here on IPCT!

HI @Brunosplace

You should be able to get those cameras to work with the NVR using the Dahua APIs instead of ONVIF.

In theory that should give you the maximum functionality possible with that combination of NVR and Dahua OEM cameras.

Often ONVIF settings may leave a few options out - it depends on the ONVIF version supported by the camera and NVR.

So, do take a closer look at using the normal settings and see about configuring the sub-stream appropriately for the NVR's multi-camera display.

update: Please see the following thread.. remember search is your friend

update: Please see the following thread.. remember search is your friend

Last edited: