Generic VS Brand Make and Model

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When I "Find/Inspect" my 4MP Hikvision cameras (see my signature), Blue Iris identifies the cameras as "Generic," "RTSP H.264/MJPG/MPEG4." However I do see that Hikvision does exist as a "Make" option with "DS-2CDxxxx RTSP" as a model option (which would be appropriate for my cameras). I've actually tried both, but don't see any difference between the two streams, cpu usage, etc. So my question is, should I expect to get better performance using one or the other?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When I "Find/Inspect" my 4MP Hikvision cameras (see my signature), Blue Iris identifies the cameras as "Generic," "RTSP H.264/MJPG/MPEG4." However I do see that Hikvision does exist as a "Make" option with "DS-2CDxxxx RTSP" as a model option (which would be appropriate for my cameras). I've actually tried both, but don't see any difference between the two streams, cpu usage, etc. So my question is, should I expect to get better performance using one or the other?
The video will be the same. The only benefit of the find inspect is that it pulls the onvif stream, which allows you to use the in camera motion detection if you wish.