Generic type question

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have my Amcrest AD410 doorbell mounted to the wall, powered for now by a USB adapter, not hooked up to the indoor chime (can't get the doorbell wiring and the AD410 to work together).
I have the Blue Iris running on a few years old Surface Pro test computer. All is working right now. I have configured an Alert and a Trigger to play a sound when the motion is detected.

It was working great, and then the Amazon delivery person showed up. I got the alert sound, and video started recording. I was happy! I never got this to work with the Wyze Cam V3.

When I went back to view the recording, the weird thing was that the motion of the truck started the recording and it recorded until the vehicle left... that was what I wanted.
What I didn't want or expect was for me to see him walk to the back of the truck, then a lag of (I think) 15 seconds and then see him pop up at the door after setting the package down.
It did not record him walking up the sidewalk to the door but did record him walking back to the truck.

I say "lag" because the "seconds" value on the time overlay stopped and then when it resumed (15 seconds later) was when the recording showed the driver standing up after having placed the package on the doorstep.

I am guessing that the lag was probably due to either the fact that the doorbell is wireless, or maybe because the camera was sending an alert to my phone, but I am not sure.

In my testing earlier today and yesterday evening, I did not see anything like this lagging when I was testing the motion. I had the same type of issue when I was playing with the Wyze Cam V3, except that the lags happened regularly (about as often as it didn't lag).

Is this most likely a wireless issues or is there something else that I am missing?

Any thought or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It could either be the wifi issues or the surface pro not able to keep up with the demands during the motion or a combo of both.

If it didn't work when you previously tested, then I would look for the setting to not retrigger for X seconds, but based on what you said it is wifi related coupled with maybe an overloaded surface pro.

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I was thinking it was probably due to the wireless, but now I am wondering if it is a combination of wireless and the Surface Pro.

I may get one of the EmpireTech PoE doorbells () and ditch the wireless altogether.

I just checked and the Surface Pro is an "Intel Core i5-4300U" @ 1.9GHz with 4gb RAM (according to HWI 7.36-4960).

Thanks again,

Eric

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, just had this happen again last night.

Right now I only have the EmpireTech IPC-T5442T-ZE camera running on BI over PoE connection, same switch same subnet.

I don't think it has to do with the trigger settings (although I could definitely be wrong) because I get the entire video, it just misses time during the recording.
Like before, when the clip misses part of the video recording, the seconds on the overlay pause for the length of the time of the pause.

I took the dog out and the trigger went off and the recording started.
About 2m20s into the clip it stopped recording for about 15 seconds.
And then at about 3m, it didn't record for about 25 seconds even though both the dog and I were in the clip.
Then it recorded the last
I was actually standing in the same spot and the dog was walking towards the camera.

The clip thumbnail shows the clip as being 6m42 seconds, but the time in the lower part of the viewing window when the clip video is playing shows that it is 3m22s.

I was going to attach the video, but can't figure out how to edit it to trim out the 1st 2 minutes from the exported video, so as soon as I find a decent tool, I will upload the files.

Thanks,

Eric

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it going thru the router or is the camera on a VLAN or dual NIC system?

If it isn't isolated that could be it as routers are not designed for this kind of traffic, especially with everything else that might be going on in your system.

if it is isolated system either VLAN or Dual NIC, then it sounds like a potential power issue. Or maybe a driver issue.

Do you have hardware acceleration turned off at both the global and camera level?

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Both the camera and the BI machine are on a switch that is only used by these 2 devices.

No dual NIC, just the onboard NIC.

"Hardware decode" on the Camera Settings -> Video tab it is set to "No".
"Hardware accelerated decode (restart cameras)" on Blue Iris Settings -> Camera is also set to "No".

This was at 12:30 last night, where there should have been little to no traffic on the network.

I will check the NIC driver, I don't remember if I specifically set it or let Windows pick one (and after @Flintstone61's post yesterday, I definitely need to check that).

Thanks,

Eric

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This happened again last night.

Yesterday, I downloaded and installed the latest drivers (version 10.63.1014.2022, Driver Date 10/14/22) for the NIC (RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168D/8111D PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter).
I noticed after installing the drivers that the connection is only at 10Mbps, so that may be the issue - I think it is the cable, I have new patch cables on the way in case this is the issue.

Some thoughts/questions as to the issue are:
Could the limit of 10Mbps rather than 100Mbps or 1Gbps be the issue even though the only things on that network are the BI machine and the camera?
Could it be an issue with the machine that BI is running on since it so old, even though CPU usage is in the 12%-15% range?
Could it be an issue with the fact that the camera is triggering multiple motion detections during the time - the camera seems to trigger multiple events when someone is in front of it?

Thanks,

Eric

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK something is not right in your system.

What is the computer and RAM again (i number and CPU number and amount of RAM)?

Yes 10Mbps can absolutely be an issue on your NIC. If you are running the 5442 at 30FPS and max bitrate, it will be more than that.

Are you using substreams? 12-15% is a lot of CPU for one camera and we have seen someone that had high CPU based on the wrong driver for the NIC even though it was showing 1Gbps.

And the camera is not going thru the router in any way? Like if you unplug the router you still get a video feed?

We have seen as recently as this week where someone had their BI computer and cameras on the same switch, but the switch also was connected to the router and it would cause him to lose cameras whenever his router went offline.

I have a 4th gen with way more cameras than you and run lower CPU% than that...

Reaction score
This happened again last night.

Yesterday, I downloaded and installed the latest drivers (version 10.63.1014.2022, Driver Date 10/14/22) for the NIC (RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168D/8111D PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter).
I noticed after installing the drivers that the connection is only at 10Mbps, so that may be the issue - I think it is the cable, I have new patch cables on the way in case this is the issue.

Some thoughts/questions as to the issue are:
Could the limit of 10Mbps rather than 100Mbps or 1Gbps be the issue even though the only things on that network are the BI machine and the camera?
Could it be an issue with the machine that BI is running on since it so old, even though CPU usage is in the 12%-15% range?
Could it be an issue with the fact that the camera is triggering multiple motion detections during the time - the camera seems to trigger multiple events when someone is in front of it?

Thanks,

Eric
The most important thing you can do right now is to admit to your addiction. Yes. You are already addicted to the nerdy fun of security cameras.

Given that, you need to feed the addiction with a computer to run BI on properly. Go to Ebay and find an HP or Dell business class computer-- get an 8th gen processor I-5 or better. Make sure it has an M.2 slot for an M.2 SSD for the OS and BI to run on. You should be able to pick one up for about $200 to $250. Add a good M.2 drive to it, and a good WD Purple storage drive, and you are ready for business.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Attached are screen captures of Hardware Info and BI Camera setting.

I was wrong about CPU usage, I used what I remembered seeing the other day, and that was before some BI changes. Right now it is CPU is 6%-9% (with BI Console running - not as service) BI shows RAM at "192.5M".

I checked, and you are correct, the switch was connected to the router, I forgot that it was connected to enable access to the Amcrest doorbell. I pulled the cable from the router to the switch, and I can still access the camera.

No dual NIC, just the single built in RealTek NIC.
Switch is a TP-Link TL-SF1009P.

Yes, sub-streams are being used, that made the largest difference in CPU usage when I changed the BI settings up according to the Optimizing Blue Iris document.
I have set the camera FPS to 15 as advised in the Optimizing Blue Iris document you linked to.

Attachments

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did some additional quick testing and found the following...
When I trigger the camera by going front, the CPU goes up to 15% - 30% briefly.

I noticed that it seems to also play my sound 2 times for every event and goes off multiple times during the event. I can only describe it as the motion being triggered for every little movement that is made.
For example, it goes off twice when I lean up against the porch column and then immediately goes off again when I make a small movement within a couple of seconds.

Eric

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, I think it is most likely the CPU.

I modified BI, removing the Trigger/Immediate Action that played the sound and left the Alerts/On Alert action that played the sound. This fixed the double sound when motion was detected. Then I did a bunch of testing (walking around in front of the camera) and did not have any skipped frames.

Then last night, while testing the UI3 from a different machine using the command "http://192.168.0.210:81/ui3.htm?maximize=1" I noticed that the CPU usage jumped way up to around 50%. Luckily during my testing, a delivery showed up and when the motion was triggered the Alert sounded, and when watching the clip, the timestamp froze for a few seconds and the frames where the timestamp froze were dropped.

It seems to me that the machine is too small to handle BI when the CPU is seeing high usage. I base this on the idea that having both a Trigger action and Alert action possibly causing high CPU usage, and UI3 causing high CPU usage and that is when the timestamp freezes and the frames are skipped.

So, I am now going to get a different machine for BI (not a big deal since the one I am currently using was just for testing).
I am going to look at a i7 8700 since I would rather have more machine than is needed rather than having to get a different machine and do a complete re-setup in the future as I add cameras
I have a couple of questions regarding buying a new machine ...
1. Does the "8700" indicated that it is an 8th gen processor (and a 9700 = 9th gen, etc.)?​
2. Are there any vendors on eBay that I should either avoid or give preference to when purchasing?​
3. Will an i7 8700 be enough to run BI and allow for another machine to run the UI3?​
My goal is to put the BI machine in a room, and have a small machine running UI3 or something similar in the living area so that the cameras can be viewed but not have the full BI machine in the living area.​

Thanks,

Eric

Last edited: