Garage camera

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Lots of talk and the 5442 and how good it is. In this case though I just want a basic camera inside the garage.

would this be a valid place for a cheaper revoking. Without being stuck on the 5442 in my main spots this cheaper yet quality camera seems like it’s a solid fit for a basic spot inside the garage where most activity is expected as family foot traffic.

Reaction score
I have the T2431T-AS-S2 in 2.8mm in my garage. It is considerably less expensive than the T5442 but is not as good. See the below post that shows what it does in my garage and continue down that post to see the comparison between the two cams.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Pretty much any will work OK assuming a typical garage. Not much area to light up and lots of reflective surface. I have one of the cheap ~$50 Amcrest 5MP cams on a patio that I have that's about the same size area and it works very well for what it is. Wouldn't expect any cam to do much if any better.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Two other candidates (or the 4mp version):
IPC-HDBW2231F-AS-S2
IPC-HDW2231TM-AS-S2

Add a motion activated light switch to make sure the camera has plenty of light.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Cheaper cameras usually require more light to provide identifiable coverage. Luckily a garage is a perfect place for a cheaper camera if you can automate the garage light to come on with motion. Perhaps you can install a motion detection light, or some sort of smart light/switch that can be turned on by a motion detector or even your BI or NVR system. Once the garage lights are on, usually even a cheaper camera will have enough illumination to provide identifiable footage.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@samplenhold

Oh yeah. This is perfect. As you note and also some of the others below. It is the garage. It isnt perfect and doesn’t have to be. I need something that is good enough to capture some images. The space is well lit, so just add motion control to fire off the lights and boom, done.
How many cameras do you have in your garage. Is that 2, one at the front and another in the back? The one at the door. That’s just low enough to not be blocked by the open garage door, right?

Reaction score
Is that 2, one at the front and another in the back? The one at the door. That’s just low enough to not be blocked by the open garage door, right?
Yes, two cams pointed at each other. I placed the one to the left of the garage rollup door low enough so that when the door is open, it is not blocked by the door. You can see where each cam is mounted by the bright IR light in the photo below.

garage pair.JPG

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, two cams pointed at each other. I placed the one to the left of the garage rollup door low enough so that when the door is open, it is not blocked by the door. You can see where each cam is mounted by the bright IR light in the photo below.

View attachment 128440
Oh yeah, that’s great. If a camera is in night mode with ir light, does it flip to color if you pop the lights on? Or is that auto vs the schedule mode