FTP Upload

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Got an issue I'm working on and not sure if there's an easy solution for it.

A location is running a cam at full resolution (3mp) for local monitoring. They're also wanting to FTP images to an FTP server. Problem is, there's severe bandwidth limitations and they need the FTP image to be no more than 100-150kb (can be by reduced image size and/or image quality)

Easiest solution (if it were possible) would be to FTP images from the lower resolution sub-stream, however it appears that FTP is only supported from the main stream and there's no way to adjust the image size. (ie. If your camera is running the video at 3 megapixels on the main stream, you can only FTP still images at 3 megapixels)...Even setting the FTP quality to "lowest", these images are still eating way too much bandwidth.

Anyone know of a solution (maybe a firmware hack) to FTP from the sub-stream? or a way to force the camera to FTP smaller images than what the main stream video is set to? I know it would be possible for software running on a computer to resize the images and then push to the FTP server, but we're hoping for an internal camera solution without the need of a PC running 24/7...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I know of no way to do it just with the camera's internal features. You may have to compromise by uploading fewer images. That said, even a simple low power PC like a raspberry pi would be capable of recompressing the images and FTPing them.