FTP Latency Issues - Constant FTP Connection?

noneforit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey

So I only have a 1Mb upload but am only using BI with motion dection, to give you an example, I had 20 alerts upload yesterday to the FTP server on the internet.

The problem is that even when not uploading, it seems to cause the latency on the internet connection to shoot up from 30ms to 300ms constantly. If I switch FTP off in BI, it goes back to normal.

The NAT translations on my router show a permanent FTP connection from BI to my FTP server, even when not uploading. If I clear the translations, the latency goes back to normal for 20 seconds and then BOOM, the NAT translation is back and the latency increases.

I don't understand by BI has a permanent connection to the FTP server?
Surely it should open the connection, transfer the data and then close it?

I have had to switch FTP off as its causing issues.
I realise I only have a 1Mb upload but all the time FTP is enabled and I can see an FTP Nat translation, the latency is constantly 200-300ms.

May have to log a call with suppport...

Cheers

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FTP is not designed for offsite storage, it keeps the connection alive so it can quickly dump the files off as there is not enough room to cache them temporarily in the camera's memory.. if it dont have a place to immediately start saving data then it will fail.

this is not a problem when using ftp on a LAN, as intended.

noneforit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
FTP is not designed for offsite storage, it keeps the connection alive so it can quickly dump the files off as there is not enough room to cache them temporarily in the camera's memory.. if it dont have a place to immediately start saving data then it will fail.

this is not a problem when using ftp on a LAN, as intended.
So its a BI feature to keep the connection open?

To be honest, I have given up on the FTP thing as it causes issues.
I wanted offsite storage so figured FTP was the best option, I didn't realise BI would keep the connection open.

I am now using Google Drive to save files so they are uploaded to the cloud.

Cheers