Frame Rate Discrepancy Between VLC and BI

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been piddling around with one of the ZOSI cheapie "Lite" DVRs and finally found a RTSP url that actually works with the thing on 554 and it's now accessible by BI as well as VLC via RTSP.

Live view out the VGA port is, well, live. Clean in. Clean out. The cam I'm messing with is an old 25fps Swann 720p TVI cam and is accurately reported when connected to the old Swann DVR and their HTTP URL in BI for the link. The ZOSI DVR spits out the following, but is only being reported as around 7fps by BI and looks like it in both BI and VLC -- as in maybe it's actually the sub stream getting peeled off somehow?

Untitled.jpg
I've messed around with the link path to no avail and there's not much info out there on these DVRs except they're cheap as hell w/o a HDD, "they won't work with Blue Iris" -- and generally squash everything down to fit on the back of a postage stamp -- including the frame rate for higher res cams. 1080p and below is generally at least rated to 15fps if not 25 depending on the vendor.

So the ZOSI does work with Blue Iris, but at a highly reduced frame rate as is also the case with VLC despite what it reports. The question becomes, where does VLC actually grab it's codec info? Everything I've been able to find indicates that it is directly analyzing the video content at any given point in time the specs are pulled as seems evident by the real time statistics being compiled as well.

That 29.9fps being reported and the 7fps being viewed (and as reported by BI) are both from the same running instance of VLC on the laptop I'm using now. Same basic condition occurs on other devices running VLC.

Any ideas on where the other 18fps may be and why VLC is reporting 29.x in the first place for a 25fps device? Maybe it grabs the codec info prior to the H.265 encoding of the DVR?

Last edited: