Fox Stalks A Cat

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
An unknown cat is just finishing a meal of a rodent when a fox shows up. The cat sees the fox but seems unconcerned. As the cat is walking away the fox gives chase but quickly gives up. The cat runs in the street, but a vehicle driving by causes the cat to reverse course and come back into our yard.

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have never seen a fox go after a cat on my street and I've never seen a cat run from a fox. I've watched foxes walk by within feet of a cat and the fox keeps walking without any slowdown. I've seen cats numerous times walk toward foxes as the fox is moving along. I think they have mutual respect for one another.

I've seen foxes go up a tree and come down with a bird in its mouth. Not sure what a fox would do with a kitten, however, if Momma Cat weren't nearby. I bet the foxes have lots of dog food and cat food to eat while doing their rounds at night.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Same. Think they're smart enough to know that's not an easy meal. Not worth the risk. I've watched my cats interact with foxes a lot here over the years. Never seen one really go after a cat in a prey mode. Sometimes they'll want to play. One of mine would kind of hang out with them for a while and mock chase each other back and forth. But in the end it's always the cat that runs them off if they get too close or too much in their territory.