Format drive for recording HikVision. Real format? Everything gone?

pknager

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I just received my new HikVision dome camera. I have a Synology NAS. The NAS i'm using for serveral data storage. I've made a share, in the config of the HikVision i entered the share. It is correct accessibel. On the tab Configuration-> Storage-> Storage Management --> i see the hard disk "uninitialized".. i have check the drive and use the FORMAT button.

But is this a "real" format option with wiping all data on the whole drive? I don't want that to happen.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
But is this a "real" format option with wiping all data on the whole drive? I don't want that to happen.
No, a Hikvision camera cannot reformat your NAS drive. It is a poor choice of words by Hikvision. As I understand it (keeping in mind I've never used this feature of the cameras myself) that button only creates a few files/directories on the network share which allows the camera to begin saving video there. I can't even tell you why it is necessary, but it is.

themow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Give the camera its own 250gb partition. The cams are fussy when there is other stuff on the drive.
I am looking into a synology nas. Do you use surveillance station? if so how do you like it?

mandalay

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Synology DS214 and it works great with 10 Hikvision cameras capturing motion detection. The only pain is the cost of additional licenses at $50 each. The NAS itself comes with free license for 2 cameras. But I love it.